will 10.5 run on 800 megahertz processor?

Reaction score
I have a Power Mac G4 and would like to upgrade to the latest OSX. Apple recommends 867 megahertz processor. Does anyone know if my 800 megahertz G4 will be able to handle the OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have a Power Mac G4 and would like to upgrade to the latest OSX. Apple recommends 867 megahertz processor.
It's not a recommendation, its a requirement:
Apple said:
Mac OS X Leopard General requirements

* Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor

OP
S
Reaction score
so this would not work at all? i'm finding that the latest updates of Flash wont install on my safari and i'd like to upgrade.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
S
Reaction score
i know they made a dual processor verison of my mac, is it ignorant of me to hope that upgrading the CPU is simple like upgrading the RAM is?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Upgrading the CPU is a whole different ball game - not nearly as easy as upgrading RAM. My advice would be only upgrade the CPU if you absolutely know what you're doing. You could pay someone else to do it but then is it worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
Upgrading the CPU is a whole different ball game - not nearly as easy as upgrading RAM. My advice would be only upgrade the CPU if you absolutely know what you're doing. You could pay someone else to do it but then is it worth it?

Ever upgraded the CPU on a Power Mac G4? It's actually not that hard. The CPU is on a daughterboard with the heatsink attached to it, so you don't have to remove the heatsink, wipe off the thermal grease, apply new thermal paste, attach the new heatsink, etc. You just pop out the old one and pop in the new one.

The real question is whether it's worth it to buy one of these CPU upgrades. The computer will still be slow. Maybe a little faster, but still slow overall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And whilst it is technically possible to install Leopard on a 800MHz machine, you would be very disappointed with the results. Have used upgraded CPU's and whilst they work satisfactorily with leopard, you have to consider the cost.

Search Results for "MaxPower G4" at OtherWorldComputing.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.