Powerbook 17'' fault?

R

Redbull

Two days ago, I received my brand new Apple 1.67 Powerbook 17'' from Apple UK. Today, I was strolling around and deleted some unncessary files. During my time using it, all of a sudden my whole machine completely freezed. I re-booted it by holding down the start up button for more than 5 seconds. When I finally got the machine up and going again, my whole keyboard was completely disabled/broken (none of the buttons work anymore), some of the features have gone too, some functions won't operate and it won't shut down properly either?. I've done nothing wrong!. I've just spend £2000+ and I'm gobsmacked!.

I don't know what to do? - could it be a manufactured fault? I've only had it for two days!. Will it be replace under warrenty, repaired or am I screwed?

Thanks

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

Redbull said:
Two days ago, I received my brand new Apple 1.67 Powerbook 17'' from Apple UK. Today, I was strolling around and deleted some unncessary files.

How do you know that the files you deleted were unneccesary? Were they system files? You can just restore with the disks that shipped with it, no?

OP
R

Redbull

MichaelSullivan said:
How do you know that the files you deleted were unneccesary? Were they system files? You can just restore with the disks that shipped with it, no?

Possibly. So you mean re-install the Mac OS disk that came with it so I receive my system files back and hopefully with a keyboard working?

Thanks

OP
J

jessica

Redbull that is exactly what he means. I think that you may have deleted a system file.

OP
R

Redbull

Yes, it's all fix now. Just a re-install that did the job. But I have one slight problem, I downloaded Window Media player by mistake and for some unfathomable reason, I can't delete it from my trash can?

''The operation cannot be completed the item ''wmphelp.htm'' is locked''

Anybody know how to remove it or unlock it?. It is getting very annoying now.

Thanks

OP
B

BONE

Redbull said:
Yes, it's all fix now. Just a re-install that did the job. But I have one slight problem, I downloaded Window Media player by mistake and for some unfathomable reason, I can't delete it from my trash can?

''The operation cannot be completed the item ''wmphelp.htm'' is locked''

Anybody know how to remove it or unlock it?. It is getting very annoying now.

Thanks

if you drag it out of the trash and do an command I on it to get info down the bottom of the window that comes up you can unlock the file, unlock it and try deleting it again

OP
R

Redbull

BONE said:
if you drag it out of the trash and do an command I on it to get info down the bottom of the window that comes up you can unlock the file, unlock it and try deleting it again

Sorry, I'm new to Mac. How do I do a command on it?. Where's the command located?. I may sound a bit of a twit here but hey I'm learning...

OP
T

tariq

do this instead:

click your desktop, then in the menu at the top, goto Finder > Secure Empty Trash

i've heard this works

OP
M

meltbanana314

Redbull said:
Sorry, I'm new to Mac. How do I do a command on it?. Where's the command located?. I may sound a bit of a twit here but hey I'm learning...

The "command" button is the little button on the keyboard with an Apple symbol on it. Use it like you would the ALT or CTRL button.

Hold it down while pressing the 'I' button and release it to get info on the file.

OP
R

Redbull

meltbanana314 said:
The "command" button is the little button on the keyboard with an Apple symbol on it. Use it like you would the ALT or CTRL button.

Hold it down while pressing the 'I' button and release it to get info on the file.

I've learned a lot here. Yes, I've manage to remove some internal Media player files but, however, the main one still remains. After unlocking it with command under my name (owner) then using a secure empty trash still contains error 'htm is in use'. What the?. It takes up 4mb of space so to be honest, I'll have to hide it in the hardrive and just ignore it. Unless, someone could come up with another alternative?. Sorry to be a bit of a pain.

Thanks very much for you help guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.