PB shuts down on battery

Reaction score
Hi, I have a powerbook G4 alum 15" 1.5M BT 2.0
works fine on power supply.
I replaced the battery (not from Apple) because it would shut down. when I power up even with power supply it tells me my time and date is set before xxx1969 or some old date. even when I have "set clock automatically".. now it won't even power up on the new battery (or the old one), I did charge it but it never reached full charge, more like 2700ah? also in system profiler it shows battery yes, charging "no" even tho it is charging (plug is orange and the charge increased).
could this be a symptom of a dead PRAM battery?
I don't want to replace it unless I'm pretty sure that is the cause..I did try leaving the PB on charger w/out battery in for a day to see if it would charge or reset the Pram. any other ideas or suggestions welcome here or to [email protected]
thanks!

Reaction score
A dead PRAM battery is likely from the symptoms you describe -- especially the date error. Failure to start up and/or shut down are also consistent with a dead PRAM battery. I'd go ahead and replace it -- it will eliminate one more thing from the list of things that could be causing this and it shouldn't cost too much. Be careful if you do it yourself.

OP
F
Reaction score
I went to the Apple store last night and was convinced to try a new Apple battery.. it worked fine w/his test batt.. I ordered a new one for 99.00 (discounted because I bought it at the Expert Bar) I had a new aftermarket battery that didn't solve this problem that I am returning. I'm still skeptical and think I might find out the pram still needs replacing but the clock held with the test battery installed. cross fingers, I love my PB>!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.