WPA and WEP problem

Reaction score
Hey there, i've only just become a member here so i'm very new to using this forum. Hopefully someone can help me with a huge problem i'm having when trying to access the internet at my girlfriends. I've set up both her laptop and her Mums laptop and they work fine on the wireless network (PCS), however when i try to connect my MBP it asks for a WPA password?

As far as i know there is not a WPA password and for both the other PC's the WEP key worked?

Absolutely stumped on what to do, i'm sure it's something really simple but have tried all sorts of methods the past few days without any luck.

What can i do to get my mac onto the network!?

Thankyou in advance for any replies, also apologies if this topic has been covered in a thread on here already, i have searched but can't seem to find anything?

If any one had a link to a similar topic i would appreciate it too!

:D

Thanks, Kris.

Reaction score
WPA WEP PC/Mac Problem

You should try, via airport menu in "Menu Bar" conect to an other network, In the field type in the SSID of the network, select type of encription: WEP

Watch out there some issues with aiport and other routers, they dont usually andle the password the same way, Usually you put a :$ caracter before the password or in some cases, I dont remember if its:" : " or " # ".

Thats your problem for sure I run into the same one all the time.

Note: If it doesnt work out, Google around the problem of the $ or : or #.

Good luck.

Reaction score
corection for my reply

the caraters are $ or : and maybe #

good luck

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
WEP is an old, dead security standard for wireless networks. It was replaced by WPA back about 5-6 years ago. WPA uses a much simpler scheme, instead of a key, it uses a passphrase which is far more flexible.

You are likely mistaken that the other machines are using a WEP key, I've never seen a Mac (or a Windows machines, for that matter) mistake WEP for WPA or vice versa.

Reaction score
WEP is a Waste of time!

I agree WEP is a waste of time.
I also never saw a Mac (or a Windows machines, for that matter) mistake WEP for WPA or vice versa.
The problem I sid I experienced often whas to exchange keys beetween airport solutions & common ones & vice versa.
By the way if any body has more informations about those issues ill be glad to hear about them.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi there jpber i've tried doing as you say but it says see administrator for every one! :(

OP
K
Reaction score
Is there a way i can maybe plug the ethernet cable into the mac to get it to recognise the settings?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.