Imac G5 Superdrive Doesn't Burn 4x

L

LaterLater

Ok, I got my first Apple 3 weeks ago and it's been all good news except for DVD burning. Now I've searched here and google, but I want somebody elses experience on the matter. iMac G5 with the Mat****a UJ-825 superdrive is very picky with media. So far, I've tried Memorex 8x DVD-R cool colors media and Ridata 4x DVD-R media (my favorite). The Memorex burns 2x until the end, then coasters. Ridata burns 2x and finishes completely. What's the deal? I read Ridata is the brand Apple is using to make their media, so shouldn't it be 4x compatible? I should mention that I'm using disk utility to burn disk images. Haven't tried video or plain data files yet. What brands of media have you guys used that successfully burns 4x (if any)? Should I try DVD+R media or maybe use Toast instead of disk utility? Are there any firmware updates to help? All I want to is to get 4x out of this burner. I've had a 2x burner in my windows box for years and it's too slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Apple uses verbatim for their media. Memorex is the worst of all media in my mind.

I use Sony and TDK and have had no problems burning 4x

Reaction score
I use Philips and TDK and haven't had any problems yet !! Using toast can improve things.

OP
L

LaterLater

Cool, I'll try TDK since both of you agreed. I'm assuming this is DVD-R not DVD+R, correct?

Reaction score
It says DVD+R on the box that I've got. Is their a difference?

OP
T

Tiranis

There is, but I believe that Superdrives are able to burn both formats just fine. Although +R only at 2.4x if I am not mistaken... :-/

OP
L

LaterLater

Yeah, I've never used DVD+R before and don't want to switch. Personally, I find DVD-R more compatible with my devices. Anybody have recommendations on DVD-R media that burns 4x on the iMac G5?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.