Mail App Is Osx Question.

Reaction score
Ok so i'm a little confused with the mail app here. Do i have to open the mail app in order to see the new mail notification? Is there anyway to have the notifications run in the backround without having to open the mail app everytime I want to see if I have a new message? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
open it, hide it and it'll beep and show a # with the total # of new mails when they're there. This is no different than any other application, they have to actually be running to work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
I was a bit confused also upon getting my first Mac. It is very simple. Just once you turn on your Mac open Mail and then hide the window. Once you receive an email it will immediately make a nice ding noise. A small number on your icon will indicate how many unread emails you have. Read what you wish and then minimize the window and wait for more emails.

Hope this helps a little. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Blue Hardshell Case
If you don't like minimizing things for whatever reason, you can close the window with the red X but don't quit the app and it will still run. Just click on the icon in the dock to open the inbox again.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, after you open it, click on the red x to close the window rather than quitting the program. That'll keep it running but in the dock out of the way and will show you how many new e-mails you have. If it's not running it can't be automatically checking for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
or hit cmd-h and it'll hide the app, with no minimized window.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Another convenient way is if you use GMail - download and install the GMail notifier. The notifier will let you know when you have mail. That way you don't even need to have Mac Mail running. Just open it and get your mail when the notifier tells you that you have new mail.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.