Hard Drive Crashed Need Data Retrieval References

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
My Mac Mini hard drive crashed. A diagnostic shows it has a failed read/write and needs a mechanical restore. I am looking for experienced, yet reasonable place to do this. The quote I received is in the thousands and it's only an 80 gig hard drive. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am in Los Angeles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I am looking for experienced, yet reasonable place to do this. The quote I received is in the thousands and it's only an 80 gig hard drive.
Data retrieval services are expensive. Almost all of them are unreasonable with regards to cost.
And to add insult to injury, there is still no guarantee they will be able to recover all of your data.

Your best bet is to see if you can mount the drive via Target Mode with another Mac. Perhaps then you can move your files.
You could also try running a disk repair from your restore discs.

If neither of those are an option for you, then I'm afraid that you are probably out of luck.

Just remember to keep regular backups when you get a new drive installed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
Data retrieval services are expensive. Almost all of them are unreasonable with regards to cost.
And to add insult to injury, there is still no guarantee they will be able to recover all of your data.

Your best bet is to see if you can mount the drive via Target Mode with another Mac. Perhaps then you can move your files.
You could also try running a disk repair from your restore discs.

If neither of those are an option for you, then I'm afraid that you are probably out of luck.

Just remember to keep regular backups when you get a new drive installed.

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. I have found a place that claims a 95% success rate doing "mechanical" restores. They have quoted $1750 to $2500 to do so. I was price comparing with three other vendors in Los Angeles (I found through google) but they all seem to have even higher price range. I guess I'm looking for referrals for solid data retrieval places outside of L.A. where maybe the price is cheaper. If you have any referrals that would be fantastic. Thanks for your time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.