universal dock has no video feed

Reaction score
I just purchased a new Apple Universal Dock and attempted to hoock up to my HD TV via apples Component AV cables and i can't get a video feed to the tv. I am using an 160gb ipod classic. I can get video if i plug the cable directly into the ipod but not through the dock. am I missing something simple here? the apple store replaced the dock for me and the new dock does the same thing. ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4AlumBook, 4g iphone, 64wifi iPad, Atv2, Ipod classic
the new dock with the rectangular IR sensor, sends the video out of the DOCK connector... thus needing the new dock connector to Composite AV cable. The OLD dock with the CIRCULAR IR sensor will send the video out of the LINE OUT 3.5mm jack.

Hope this helps.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I am aware of that and the cables i have do connect via the dock connector.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4AlumBook, 4g iphone, 64wifi iPad, Atv2, Ipod classic
sorry to hear that... erm the next thing i have to ask is... have you turned the video out to on, on the actual ipod unit itself? i know probably a stupid Q but you wouldn't believe how many people forget this...

many thanks

OP
M
Reaction score
still no video

I have, yes. The video feed works fine with just the cable attached directly to the ipod just not when connected to the dock? have tried tried with NTSC and PAL I have tried with Widescreen and Standard. Nothing seems to help, I can play audio tracks while docked and even skip tracks, just no visual ques from the tv.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Think I'd take the 2nd one back also. Maybe you can get them to try it out in the store until they find one that works.

Either the dock is non-functioning or either the cable or ipod are not fully seated. Am guessing it's the dock from what you've done though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.