DSL modem won't connect on new iMac

Reaction score
I got my new iMac yesterday, now can't connect to the internet. I can connect on the same setup with both my pc and my boyfriend's macbook, but when I try to set up the connection to the iMac, it says the ethernet is connected but no internet connection is present. The automatic settings are detecting the IP address but it won't go any further. I've never needed a password or anything for the connection before, it's always just been plug and play. Aargh! I've searched online for help, and what I've found says select "built in ethernet" but I don't even have that option to choose from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Connect the macbook, then power off and on the router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Have you tried Power Cycling your setup?

If you do try that and it doesn't work, I would suggest calling your ISP for further troubleshooting.

OP
J
Reaction score
I've tried powering everything off and on. The setup's very simple...phone cable to dsl modem, ethernet cable from dsl modem to computer. Is it still possible that it's an ISP issue when I can unplug the ethernet cable and plug it right into my pc and it works perfectly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Is it still possible that it's an ISP issue when I can unplug the ethernet cable and plug it right into my pc and it works perfectly?
No, but that shows that you possibly haven't Power Cycled properly.

Does your modem have two ethernet cables coming out of it?

If not, you can't just swap the cable between the Windows PC and the iMac and expect it to work.
You will have to power cycle each time you switch the computers.

You will have to get a router to prevent that.

If you do have a modem/router combo, then when you are at step 5 and powering on your computers, leave the Windows PC and the notebook off.
Only turn on the iMac.
That should pull an IP for the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz
It took several power cycles with my Linksys router and cable modem to get it to work, even though the direct connection to the cable modem worked first time. Sometimes, it just requires patience.

OP
J
Reaction score
I tried it again, followed the directions for power cycling (thanks, D3v1L80Y) but still no go. I get the message, "Status: Connected - Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect". Huh???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.