Dead Hdisk Mac performa 6200

G

gazzabatwing

Hi, my friends mac 6200 performa hard disk died. I offered to help. I ordered a new disk,(probably the last one in existence). I have fitted it but have not yet tested it. Being a PC person I know little about Macs.
The new disk will be completely blank.
My question is ,what proceedures do I need to do to get the operating system back on?
Is there a Mac format disk or something special needed to get underway? My friend is not very tech savvy,so I will need very basic guidance here.
Thanks for any advice on this kit

OP
B

Badger

You'll need installation CDs or floppies, preferably those that came with the model. Install the new HD (be sure to match the jumper to the setting on the old HD) then start up from CD or floppy. Once the computer is running you'll have to use the disk utility (called Disk Tool) to format the new drive. Once that is done you can install the operating system. If you have the original CDs you should have a CD called "Restore." if you use that CD it will install an exact copy of what the hard disk had on it - including the system - when it was bought.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.