Ram Upgrade, Massive Price Difference...

Reaction score
Hello,

i'm considering upgrading the ram on my Spring 2008 iMac (20inch / 2.66ghz).

After checking the apple website, 4gb ram is priced at £160. IMO that is a LOT of money for ram. I then checked crucial.com, and their ram was only £40 something.

Have i missed something? are the ones on the apple site any better than the crucial equivalent??

I've had no trouble with crucial ram before (i bought plenty in my pc days), so if the performance is equal then i'd go for those?

Help?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, they are not any better. Apple charges astronomical prices for RAM.. DO not buy from them. The 2GB kit Apple sells for $150 here, starts at $20 and you can't even find 2GB's higher than $45 from any reputable online seller.

OP
D
Reaction score
Great! i'll have a look around then, although i trust crucial so probably go with them.

Makes you wonder why apple even tries to sell ram at extremely high prices when everyone is undercutting them by over half.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
Great! i'll have a look around then, although i trust crucial so probably go with them.

Makes you wonder why apple even tries to sell ram at extremely high prices when everyone is undercutting them by over half.

Because a lot of people are STILL under the mistaken impression that they will void their warranty if they upgrade the RAM themselves or they are simply ignorant and are easily swayed by the Apple salesperson. Apple's BTO options are margin-builders just like all those stupid extras the dealership tries to sell you when you buy a car.

Of course, it says right in the manual and all over the place online that upgrading your RAM is easy to do and won't void your warranty, but we still get several people every week who come to this site and think that upgrading the RAM themselves voids their warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.