How do to change a file's "kind" in Finder?

Reaction score
I have some PNG files and even though they all have the same ".png" extension, they have different values in the "kind" column in finder. Some of the files are:

"Portable Network Graphics images" while others are
"Adobe Photoshop PNG file"

This is an issue because when sorting by kind, I expect all my PNGs to be together and instead they are apart due to their different "kind" values.

How can I change the "kind" property of a file? Take note, changing the "opens with" property under "Get Info" does not change file kind.

png test.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
well Portable Network Graphic is what the PNG is, but how were the files created? I'm thinking they might have different color depth, the Adobe PS PNG having a higher depth?

PNG supports both 8bit and 16bit color depth, try resaving your images

still, just a wild guess :D

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply scathe, I actually tried resaving the photoshop png in Preview before and that actually did change the kind value to "Portable Network Graphics image"

but I feel like that's a bit of a workaround specific to PNGs and am wondering if there is some sort of general solution to edit a file's kind value for any file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.