Why do torrents stop when my screen sleeps?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a brand new iMac and I'm trying to figure out a way to keep my torrents downloading while I'm in bed asleep without my iMac screen being on, but I can't seem to figure it out.

I have gone to "Preferences" and set my "display" to sleep after 5 mins, but I set my "computer" to sleep NEVER.

But still once my display goes to sleep my torrent s stop downloading. Why does my display have to be on? Can't my torrents just download in the background while the display sleeps?

Any tips on how to achieve this would be amazing!

Cheers,
Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
you could try turning off all the timers and just dim your display until it turns off and leave it like that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Try go to Energy saver and turn off the the check box for turning off the hard disk when ever possible option, that should do it I think.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey guys...thanks a lot for the replies......although neither tip worked?:(

Unchecking the "turn off the hard whenever possible" box didn't work. The trorrents still stop downloading as soon as my screen sleeps.

And, the dimming the screen tip sort of worked but the iMac doesn't really allow you to to dim the screen that much, certainly not all the way off, as far as I have been able to figure out.

Any other tips?

This kind of seems a bit silly if its not possible, no?

I assume the same thing happens with regular internet downloads and torrent downloads....so, Mac didn't think of this?

Any other tips would be amazing!

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for recommending Caffeine...i tried it but it also doesn't do the trick....

Caffeine is essentially just a short cut to your "system preferences > energy saver" tab that allows you to toggle your computer quickly to prevent or allow sleep mode.

I want to have my screen sleep while torrents happen in the background while I'm comfy in bed sleeping at night.

It seems so bizarre that Apple didn't think of this....and there are so many threads around...I'm surprised there's no solution....

Any other ideas anyone???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Tell us what client you are using.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is for sure something wrong somewhere as I do it with downloads and the few torrents I work with all the time while sleeping. Are you sure you have the settings right in System Preferences? Like Eric asked, which torrent client you running?

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
same problem

Hi guys,
Sorry to bump an oldish thread but it's the only one I've found with a problem similar to mine!

I work in IT at a school and rely on puling down big downloads over night so as not to pinch too much bandwidth from the students -just like tomdesaulniers, when the monitor turns off, downloads pause. They can be restarted easily the next morning, and sometimes even moving the mouse to wake the screen is enough to reinitialize the download.

Power settings are set to never sleep hard disks, computer set to never turn off & monitor (for now) also set to never sleep, just because I need some important downloads. But any help to save some power (and the life of my monitor) would be appreciated

Cheers in advance

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a brand new iMac and I'm trying to figure out a way to keep my torrents downloading while I'm in bed asleep without my iMac screen being on, but I can't seem to figure it out.

I have gone to "Preferences" and set my "display" to sleep after 5 mins, but I set my "computer" to sleep NEVER.

But still once my display goes to sleep my torrent s stop downloading. Why does my display have to be on? Can't my torrents just download in the background while the display sleeps?

Any tips on how to achieve this would be amazing!

Cheers,
Tom

One simple solution for this. Just try pressing Control + Shift + Eject button at once. Your screen will just turn off without interrupting your torrents downloads or whatever it may be. And remember to never turn off our hard disk and don't put the computer to sleep. All these which can be selected under power saver settings

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.