Refurb Macbook:Did I get a really unlucky, or is this normal

Reaction score
I ordered my refurbished macbook(2.4 GHz) from the apple store, and it came in the mail 3 days ago.

I was completely satisfied with it, until today when I came home, it did not come back from sleep mode.
I had to take out the battery and put it back in, and it luckily recovered.

Then I started messing around with garage band, and garage band was forced to quit two times in a row.

Is this a "normal" incident when using a macbook? Does it sometime does not come back from sleep or randomly shut down application?

I am thinking that if all these things are happening 3 days after I started using it, it could possibly get worse as I use this for couple more years...

So here is my question: Is this because my macbook was refurbished? and should I return it and get a non-refurbished, or would that not make any difference?

Thank You!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz aluminum unibody, 250 GB HD, 2GB RAM
It sounds like a software issue. If you back up your data and do a new install of the OS, I think it'd help tons. But no, it's not "normal," not with a new one and not with a refurb. (The refurbs really are just like new. They're treated the same as new by Apple, you just save some $.)

Reaction score
I second that motion. Not normal. Re-install OS and if you still have the problems bring it to apple.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do let us know if that works and takes care of the issue. That for sure is not normal for a Mac at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 2.2 core 2 duo,Macbook/iphone/ipod/apple Hi-Fi/MacBook Pro 13"/ipod nano/iPad 64 wifi/
I hate to say it but my first macbook had issues that I had to re-install and everything was fine. I have purchased many items refub from mac. Always was happy.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi Guys,

Im always reluctant to buy refurbished "anything" but someone posted a comment here about buying a refurbished mac is the same as new except cheaper? Are there different rules for refurbished products that apple resells? Im thinking about getting a new macbook and if I can get it for cheaper from an apple reseller then that would be awesome. Anyone can shed some light?

Refurbished Macs are refurbished to like new condition and come with the same warranty as a new machine, no special exclusions. The only difference is that they tend to ship in plain packaging, instead of the original - but all accessories are included. The only difference is the price, which can be a substantial discount depending on the model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.