Need help transfering files to new Mac

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new on this forum. I just bought a new MacBook. I would like to transfer my files, music, photos, etc from my old MacBook to the new one. The newest MacBook does not have firewire. Can I do the transfer with my Time Machine? If so, how is it done? What is the best way to transfer the data?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without a firewire connection on the new machine, the best way may be to use a removable USB flash drive. Since they come in all sizes and are rather inexpensive, it's a convenient way to do the transfers.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I'd go with a network, either hook them up to a same router (with cable, wifi is slower) or connect the two computers with a crossed-over ethernet cable

but some people don't like the aspect of network since it can take some hassle to set up :D the advantage here is that you can copy quickly and large amounts at once

so, if you don't have a network available or don't want to set it up, go with the usb flash drive or external hard disk

time machine doesn't seem like the right solution to copy files, you have a clean system - keep it that way :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.