I want a new router

G

gabe90

I have a really old router here, and I get very very slow download speeds. Also I can't use port forwarding with this router, which will also consideraby speed things up. So I want to get a new router.

The way I see it, to not get a wireless router at this point would be stupid. So I'm looking at the Airport router and the Linksys routers.

Questions,
1. Will using a wireless router slow down my downloading speeds? I want wireless but if I won't be able to download at any reasonable speeds, I'll reconsider.

2. My roomate has a PC and he doesn't have a wireless card. If I get the Airport router, I won't be able connect his computer to the router through a wire will I? Is there anything I can do other than buying a wireless card for his computer?

3. I don't really have a third question I don't think, but if anyone here has any expereinces, good or bad, with any wireless routers and wants to share them, please feel free.

Thanks,
Gabe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
1. no slow downs
2. yea, you can connect his pc via an ethernet cable.
3. I recommend a 3rd party router, the airport base station is overpriced, many linksys and other routers do more for half the cost. plus linksys has a router with a speed booster thatll increase your speed if thats important.

OP
S

SogniX

I highly recommend Linksys Wireless-G 4 port router with Speedbooster.
For better range, you can upgrade the Linksys router's antennas. :)

OP
I

i2oadi2unnei2

I'm all about Cisco products and have loved Linksys since its inception. With that being said, go for the Linksys, you've got the best of both world IMHO <smile>

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.