iMac slowing down

Reaction score
I have an Intel-based core 2, 2.4 GHz iMac, bought brand new about 15 months ago.

Just recently it seems to have been slowing down, particularly when opening apps, images and using Front Row (movie trailers now take 2 or 3 minutes to buffer before running, where before they ran pretty much instantly).

It has 1 GB 667 MHz of RAM, so I'm puzzled why it should be slowing. I don't use it for anything unusual (just music, internet, mail, photos etc) or download any illegal software.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz
How full is the hard drive? Limited HD space will also cause your machine to slow. I saw on another posting info about a program that will tell you how your HD space is being used, but I don't recall the name of it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Doubt it's the hard drive. Have used 100 GB out of 300 GB - 200 GB still to use. Problem seems to be with videos, even Youtube is now slower.

Thanks for your reply though!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an Intel-based core 2, 2.4 GHz iMac, bought brand new about 15 months ago.

Just recently it seems to have been slowing down, particularly when opening apps, images and using Front Row (movie trailers now take 2 or 3 minutes to buffer before running, where before they ran pretty much instantly).

It has 1 GB 667 MHz of RAM, so I'm puzzled why it should be slowing. I don't use it for anything unusual (just music, internet, mail, photos etc) or download any illegal software.

Any ideas?

Have you repaired "permissions" lately?

- Nick

Reaction score
Have you tried defragmenting the disk? I use iDefrag. After 6 months use, defragmenting the drive made a noticeable difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Doubt it's the hard drive. Have used 100 GB out of 300 GB - 200 GB still to use. Problem seems to be with videos, even Youtube is now slower.

Thanks for your reply though!

Youtube? Video trailers?(mentioned in the first post) Sounds like you have an internet connection problem, if the videos take a long time to buffer, it's likely you have something eating up your bandwidth

Even though you might not notice it, Front Row trailers are downloaded off the internet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.