G4 Quicksilver processor upgrade

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my G4 quicksilver's processor. I understand it can be somewhat of a costly upgrade and am willing to put the money into it.

My first choice was going to be NewerTechnologies' dual 1.8ghz 7448 processor, but found out they discontinued those a few months back. So I now have to decide between Sonnettech's dual 1.6ghz 7447A processor (if i can even find 1 for sale) or NewerTech's 2.0ghz 7448 processor. I understand 7448 processors can range up to "40% faster and cooler" -quoted from newertech's site,than 7447's. My question is which will be faster and stronger (multiple programs running)? Ideally i'd like to think i can run GarageBand/Apple logic studio/final cut studio/and HD movies, not all at the same time.

My current specs are:
Mac OS X 10.5.6
800Mhz overclocked quicksilver 2001
1.5GB Ram
256MB GeForce 7800GS
540GB Maxtor HD
Pioneer DVD-RW

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
You're stretching that computer to the limit. Even if you upgrade the processor, you'll still be under the recommended RAM for editing HD in Final Cut. To spend $300-$400 on a processor upgrade is just throwing good money after bad.

My question is, if you can afford a $1,800 worth of software ($1300 for Final Cut Studio + $500 for Logic Studio), why can't you afford more than a few hundred bucks on a computer that was built sometime in the last 2-3 years? A G4 simply isn't meant to handle that software. I'd recommend getting a used dual G5 at the very least, preferably an Intel-based computer (a 24" iMac should do).

OP
I
Reaction score
I love my G4 and don't want to get rid of it quite yet. If i were to buy another computer, it would be the mac pro and i don't have the cash to splurge on that yet. For now, this computer will be used to hook up to a 42" HD tv to watch movies/msn/poker/surf etc. I just need a processor fast enough to play HD movies or run msn and Fulltilt poker at the same time and maybe even surf the internet if the processor could handle it. Final Cut/Logic Pro/GarageBand would just be a bonus cause i know they are taxing pieces of software.

My 800Mhz just doesn't cut it and i need an upgrade. So I was wondering which would be faster for what i described i wanted to do. dual 1.6Ghz 7447 or a single 2.0Ghz 7448

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm looking to upgrade my G4 quicksilver's processor. I understand it can be somewhat of a costly upgrade and am willing to put the money into it.

I'm sure you must be aware that a 2.0 ghz upgrade can cost close to $400 bucks. For $100-$200 more you could purchase a dual G5!!!

I know you're attached to your G4...but spending that sort of money to upgrade it is just not logical!

Just my humble opinion,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
One word of caution

You state the Quicksilver has been overclocked. Did you do the overclocking as CPU upgrades are set up to operate at either the 100 or 133MHz system bus speed and overclockers have been known to change the bus speed which could possibly interfere with the up[grade operating?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so no 1 knows which would be faster?

Invest in a G5, or an Intel based Mac...you're just wasting your money upgrading the processor in your G4!

- Nick

Reaction score
Thread back from the dead!

@irectus12:

Just like me! very stubborn!

Was looking into the same upgrade for my powermac g4 digital audio (2001)
but did you know newertech has a dual 1.6ghz processor in 7448 fashion?! at least for the DA it does, didnt check for the quicksilver. now as far as which is faster i would think the dual is slightly faster heince the 50$ more price tag but it may be faster only because your not putting all that strain on 1 processor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
With Snow Leopard and all future operating systems being Intel multi core installable only, the era of the G4 CPU upgrade is gone.

Put the cash towards an Intel iMac or Mac Mini, or save for a Mac Pro.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With Snow Leopard and all future operating systems being Intel multi core installable only, the era of the G4 CPU upgrade is gone.

Put the cash towards an Intel iMac or Mac Mini, or save for a Mac Pro.

ABSOLUTELY...couldn't have said it better myself!!!

If G4 processor upgrades were cheap ($50-$100)...and someone got a BIG speed increase from the upgrade...I would say go for it.

But when a G4 computer is worth (for example) $100-$250...and a CPU upgrade can cost $250-$400....it just isn't worth it.

Also...if buying an Intel Mac isn't in the budget...you can still upgrade to a low-mid level G5 for around $350-$500.

- Nick

Reaction score
I have a G4 800, like you it didn't quite cut it, so i overclocked it all the way up to 1066Ghz runs like a dream, all i did was apply some additional cooling to the heatsink ( not really needed but i felt i had to ),

I did first try it with a spare 800 processor that i had but that would only go to 933Mhz, but you might be lucky like me to get a processor that will go that far, two years latter not a panic in sight,

Reaction score
Very interesting thread, and I have to agree with pigoo3, the question is if such an upgrade of a G4 makes sense or if you're better of with a new G5. Probably depends on personal taste but I would rather get a new processor. I am also a heavy PC user, surfing, playing poker cash games and downloading at the same time, so I know how slow a PC can get if you don't have the right hardware.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very interesting thread, and I have to agree with pigoo3, the question is if such an upgrade of a G4 makes sense or if you're better of with a new G5. Probably depends on personal taste but I would rather get a new processor.

Since this thread is about 1.5 years old...the cost of a used Powermac G5 has come down further from the used value I posted above. !.5 years ago a used G5 would have cost you $350-$500...now you can get a used 1.8-2.0ghz dual processor Powermac G5 for about $250 on e-Bay.

So with everyday that goes by...it makes less & less sense to upgrade old Powermac G4's...unless you can do it very very cheaply.:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with Nick. G5's since this thread started have come way down. I own a Quicksilver and Digital Audio. Both 133 Mhz Bus. The DA has a 1.8Ghz G4 by Giga Design, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro. I did it as a project as I love modding machines and never tried it with a Mac. It's old now but at the time it cost a lot but was pretty fast. My iMac G5 2.1 Single CPU/CORE totally eats it alive in Video compression and conversion and anything very demanding. A Power Mac G5 would be even faster than my iMac.

To anyone reading this, if you want a computer that will at least be pretty smooth with todays usage, skip the G4 and get a G5 at least. I would say get an entry level Mini but you can get a lot of G5's for a quite a bit less today and if you are broke, that might be your only option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.