iPhone self-fix gone wrong

Reaction score
Well I attempted to replace my broken digitizer/outer glass on my iPhone and I thought everything went very well until the end. I followed directions and watched a tutorial and everything went fine. I put the lcd back on and connected the cables and screwed everything together and then I turned it on.

It turned on fine and the screen works great but the home button is unresponsive, neither the external nor earpiece speakers work, and the iPhone won't recognize a charger/usb cable being plugged in. The vibrate switch, volume buttons, and the headphone jack are all fine but that is about it.

I think this problem is related to the number 3 cable that runs from the frame of the screen to the base by the other cables. I was not sure of all the functions of that cable but I think it definitely has something to do with the home, button, light sensors, and earpiece. I didn't rip the cable or anything, I am just afraid that it is not in all the way.

Is this a problem any others have had or know anything about? Please help me out if you know anything about the cables or what I should do know? Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, iMac G3, 3 iPods, iPhone 3G
Why don't you just take it apart again... and check. Seems like it went fine the first time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
yeah, take it apart and re-seat everything,

First thing I learnt about working on electronics/computers is don't put them back together until you are sure they working 100% :)

BTW how hard did you find removing the screen from the iPhone?

OP
B
Reaction score
Well I have tried resetting the cables several times and I am convinced that it is the third cable. I know the number 1 cable is the lcd and the number 2 cable is the touch screen digitizer and both of those work fine. The third cable hooks up differently and I cannot get it to slide under the connector like it supposed to.

Overall the screen removal went alright. I followed a youtube tutorial and it helped a lot. The worst part is removing the digitizer from the frame. That probably takes about 30 min just blowdrying and scraping the old glass off. If everything goes smoothly it is definitely worth it to fix on your own. I got the new digitizer for $28 and then I would recommend buying the double-sided fitted tape for it as well which is only $6.

If anyone knows the specific function of that number 3 cable please let me know so I know there still might be hope. As of now, I think I fixed it enough for apple to replace it. Is that a bad idea or does anyone know if that will work out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
As of now, I think I fixed it enough for apple to replace it.
I don't think Apple will even touch it now that you have opened it yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in macbook, 120 hd, 2 gigs memory
ill buy that new screen off you

Reaction score
Hey I have pretty much the same problem but only my earpiece is not working. The number 3 cable does not want to slide back in all the way. I don't remember how far in the cable was in when I first pulled apart. The number 3 cable is called the sensitizer cable and can be purchased online for under 30 dollars. Search on google sensitizer cable iPhone 3 g. I'll be taking my phone apart again this week and try to slide that cable all the way in. Good luck and keep us posted I'll do the same

Reaction score
Any news. I just did the same fix and now my microphone is not working. Neither is it working in the speaker phone mode, nor in the handsfree mode or even in the normal speaking mode. Did any of you find a fix for this problem?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers
-
SHM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.