old slow computer

Reaction score
I have a powerbook G4 That I bought in 2002. I had it beefed up a bit when I bought it. It has 60 gigs of memory, a gig processor,and a gig of ram. A few years ago the screen broke, and I haven't really used it since. So the other day I tried to hook up an external monitor (which I was able to do just fine) and I found that the computer that had been running quite perfectly 3 years prior had somehow turned into a supremely slow piece of trash...while not even being used at all.

I am not even talking about the internet or something like that where it's possibly progressed past the point of the computer. I am simply talking about clicking on a folder and it taking forever to open: simple things.

I realize the computer is 7 years old, but how did it get to the point where it barely works when it wasn't even being used? And what can I do to help things along?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
First step would be to reformat the hard drive and reinstall OS X on it.

It's also possible your perceptions have simply changed. I for one never found G4s to be that fast, even when they were new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
.It has 60 gigs of memory, a gig processor,and a gig of ram.

you mean 60 gigs of disk? ;) memory = ram :) if you had that much, even server admins would be sooo jealous :D

anyway, it might just be that you got used to something much much faster, whenever I use my old computer I am always amazed at how I could stand the speed all day :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Well, it is definitely slower because now it runs super choppy. It may not have been lightning quick before, but now it is a dying turtle. I will have to try re-installing OSX and reformatting my hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.