GlimmerBlocker help - block text ads?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs
I'm trying to use GlimmerBlocker to block text ads in Safari, mainly the ones on Facebook. Anyone know how to filter that? I figured out how to block the images associated with them, but I still haven't got a grasp on the text portion.

Can somebody help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
Use a custom ccs file

You can block the facebook ads using a custom css file.

- Open TextEdit, create a new file
- **IMPORTANT** Click FORMAT > Make Plain Text
- Copy and paste the following into the file

#ssponsor, .footer_ad, .banner_ad, .social_ad, .ad_capsule, .sidebar_ads, .adcolumn, .admarket_ad, .sidebar_item.sponsor, .emu_sponsor, .home_sponsor { display: none !important; }

- Save the file as custom.css
- **IMPORTANT - When promted choose 'Use .css'
- Open Safari > Preference > Advanced > Stylesheet, select 'other' then navigate to the file you just made.

Go to facebook and it will be ad free!

(remember to save the file somewhere safe as you need to keep it).

OP
ekologik
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

#ssponsor, .footer_ad, .banner_ad, .social_ad, .ad_capsule, .sidebar_ads, .adcolumn, .admarket_ad, .sidebar_item.sponsor, .emu_sponsor, .home_sponsor { display: none !important; }

- Open Safari > Preference > Advanced > Stylesheet, select 'other' then navigate to the file you just made.

wow that's amazing, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 1.8GHz PowerPC G5, 2GB DDR SDRAM/(2) iPod 3gs 15&30GB/iPod Nano 4g 15GB/iPod Classic 6g 120GB
I am going to do this too.
Thanks to ekologik for asking the question and zongamin for the thorough answer. I love it when I can trip over someone's problem thread and learn new and completely useful things.

OP
ekologik
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Hey, again. So thanks for helping me once upon a time, but now that Facebook has new ads, the problem still exists. How can we get rid of FB's new ads? Any ideas what else to add to the CSS file? Thanks!

F

fredrock

glimmerblocker for fluid - facebook

glimmerblocker works great for pandora, my other fluid app, but it is not taking away the fluid - facebook ads

what can i do?

Reaction score
I used something similar to the CSS already on this post, but I started seeing some new ads. I've posted a new version of the CSS on my blog or you can just use this:

Code:
#ssponsor, .footer_ad, .banner_ad, .social_ad, .ad_capsule, .sidebar_ads, .adcolumn, .admarket_ad, .sidebar_item.sponsor, .emu_sponsor, .home_sponsor, .UIHomeBox_Sponsored, .ego_unit, .ego_spo { display: none !important; }

Reaction score
Hey, again. So thanks for helping me once upon a time, but now that Facebook has new ads, the problem still exists. How can we get rid of FB's new ads? Any ideas what else to add to the CSS file? Thanks!

I posted a new reply that should work for you. It also works for Firefox in case you find yourself switching between browsers for some reason. I think you just need to add some new classes to your CSS file. After your last class and before the style definition, add
Code:
, .UIHomeBox_Sponsored, .ego_unit, .ego_spo
and you should be back to ad-free normal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.