New Hard drive,can I copy from old one?

Reaction score
HI there,
I'm installing a new hard drive on my imac, and I'll upgrade the OS to Leopard.
After it's installed, can I wook up my old drive as an usb disk, and copy APPS and files from there to my new disk with a new OS? Will it give me permissions to access my data on the old disk?

Just copying and APP directory from old disk to new, makes it automaticly installed on the new OS?

Thanks
MaC

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, you can put your old hard drive in an external USB case and copy contents such as documents and emails from it to your new hard drive. However, any applications that you had on the old drive will have to be reinstalled on the new drive.

You can also upgrade to Leopard by doing an "archive and install". See the following Apple KB article. Link This might be the best way to retain data and applications when upgrading.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
I dit it.
Clean install.
And I found out that moust AppS can be just copied. (copying the folder in Library folder too).
E-mail boxes just copied them too!
All works flawlasly!
Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.