iphone battery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 C2D Black MacBook, Ram = 1gb, 120gb HDD
Hey all, i got my iphone last sunday, i'm here to inquire about the battery, maybe it takes a few cycles or i'm just over loading the phone, i'm jailbroken and last night before i went to bed i waited till my battery was fully charged and then i took it with me to my room. I went to bed around 3:30am. When i recieved a text at 11am, i was down to 20percent battery life, when i got up at noon i was down to 10%, Now i'm just wondering if it being jailbroken is using up that much of it's resources, or maybe cuz i have the wifi on, or what? maybe it's just cuz it's new? any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Have you tried restarting it? That's a glitch that I've experienced before when the battery would drain very quickly for no apparent reason. A simple restart would fix the issue.

Oh, and by restart I mean a hard restart, as in holding down the Power and Home buttons for a few seconds until you see the Apple logo

OP
spudd4242
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright.. I did a hard restart and charged back to full. @5pm i was full we will see how long it last..ive got 3g turnd off and ill use it sparingly... Maybe ive just been playimg with to much haha so muxh excitment. Nut that still doesnt explain last might so we will see

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Is auto lock turned off? That would cause the screen to stay lit and drain the battery if you don't manually put it into standby.

You shouldn't have to turn off 3G. Also check your screen brightness and WiFi (if not in use). When I say not in use, it seems to wear down the battery faster when not joined to a wireless network because it's scanning for available wireless connections. When joined, battery life seems longer because it takes less time to check email, surf, etc... than over 3G because there are less (and shorter) transmission packets being sent, a lot less handshaking than over 3G.

With screen brightness around one third, auto lock set to 2 minutes, WiFi on, Bluetooth Off, 3G Enabled, I get about 18 hours with light usage. 10 to 13 with medium usage. I also have Push enabled for Exchange Server and two additional IMAP email accounts. Phone is Jailbroken on 2.1.1 firmware.

OP
spudd4242
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is auto lock turned off? That would cause the screen to stay lit and drain the battery if you don't manually put it into standby.

You shouldn't have to turn off 3G. Also check your screen brightness and WiFi (if not in use). When I say not in use, it seems to wear down the battery faster when not joined to a wireless network because it's scanning for available wireless connections. When joined, battery life seems longer because it takes less time to check email, surf, etc... than over 3G because there are less (and shorter) transmission packets being sent, a lot less handshaking than over 3G.

With screen brightness around one third, auto lock set to 2 minutes, WiFi on, Bluetooth Off, 3G Enabled, I get about 18 hours with light usage. 10 to 13 with medium usage. I also have Push enabled for Exchange Server and two additional IMAP email accounts. Phone is Jailbroken on 2.1.1 firmware.

I don't have 3g enabled because it's not available where i live, when i leave and go to a place where it is i'll turn it on. My wifi is on, my screen brightness is less than half, i've got an auto dim at 30 seconds, and lock at 1 minuet, my batter seemed to last a big longer yesterday with moderate use, still doesn't explain why it killed itself over night, but maybe that hard restart solved that.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First gen - so no 3G - no push for Exchange server - def do not use it as an instant messaging service, WiFi on, Bluetooth on, brightness at 50%, auto lock at 1 minute, I use it to read everynight when I go to bed (though not for long), what I call regular phone usage during the day, use Maps & Weather quite frequently, and I have to charge it twice a week. My wife gets 5-6 days out of a charge on hers.

Just goes to show, really depends on how much you're using the thing as to how long the battery will last.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.