Finder Keep opening Folders in a New Window

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is dumb question, but
My Finder keep opening folders on a new folder every time, I unchecked the box under finder preference "Always Open Folders in a New Window." but nothing changers. All the finder windows I open keep opening in new windows. Can anyone help me please,:(
Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try logging on to your machine using another account (create a test account if you already do not have another) and see if the same thing happens. If it doesn't occur when logging on to the new account, try running "repair disk permissions".

You can repair disk permissions two ways: Boot with your install media, run Disk Utility from the top menu and select "repair disk permissions". Or, you can download the free "OnyX" program and repair disk permissions using its maintenance routine. Link

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed reply mate,
I tried every thing you said, But it still oppens in new windows. I tried the OnyX program as well but didnt work. I can change the setting by going to finder preference "Always Open Folders in a New Window." but nothing changers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you have the sidebar & toolbar hidden for a folder, then subfolders will open in a new window regardless of that setting. If you have the sidebar on, then the checkbox determines whether subfolders will open in a new window or not.

The opposite of "always" is not "never." It is "sometimes." There is no "Never open folders in a new window" option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.