iMac OS X question

S

seekdestroy16

I just installed Panther on my iMac DV 350. Since its an imac the storage is very limited and I cannot give it a better harddrive so I need to make space. To do so, I want to delete the previously installed OS 10.2.8...is that possible?. If so how do I do it?.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
I would think that your old version of OS X would have been replaced automatically by Panther and therefore you wouldn't need to remove anything .

You could if you want more space quite easily replace your hard drive for a bigger one. There are lots of threads on this forum of how to do it, or you could google it. I did it myself on a 233 Rev B iMac and installed an 80GB HD.

Hope this helps
Paul

OP
S

seekdestroy16

pphking said:
I would think that your old version of OS X would have been replaced automatically by Panther and therefore you wouldn't need to remove anything .

You could if you want more space quite easily replace your hard drive for a bigger one. There are lots of threads on this forum of how to do it, or you could google it. I did it myself on a 233 Rev B iMac and installed an 80GB HD.

Hope this helps
Paul

When I installed Panther it added a extra 1.7 gb onto my 6 gb hard drive. If it replaced the OS (Jaguar) I would think it would take about the same amount of space. I am doing this for the next owner so it would be pointless to get a harddrive when im getting a quicksilver with a 80 gb harddrive.

Reaction score
You could download a program like 'Delocalizer' to uninstall other languages, that would give back a bit of space !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
seekdestroy16 said:
When I installed Panther it added a extra 1.7 gb onto my 6 gb hard drive. If it replaced the OS (Jaguar) I would think it would take about the same amount of space. I am doing this for the next owner so it would be pointless to get a harddrive when im getting a quicksilver with a 80 gb harddrive.

Why didn't you format the drive and do a clean installation of Panther? That way you can select which components are installed, and the space it occupies can be adjusted.

BTW, if you're selling the machine, I'd suggest using Disk Utility's option to "Write Zeros" (or better yet, "Write Random Data) during the format for an extra measure of security.

OP
S

seekdestroy16

I am totally new at installing a new OS, or deleting an OS. I will try that, thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
seekdestroy16 said:
I am totally new at installing a new OS, or deleting an OS. I will try that, thanks all.

Oh, I see. Well if you need any help or run into any problems, feel free to send me a private message and I'll try to help you out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.