NEF files not transfering from one ext HD to another ext HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm posting the problem in this particular forum because it's only my NEF files which are suddenly (after about 1500 files successfully transferring last night) not transferring. I have tested video and music file transfers, and those work just fine. The drive I am transferring from, is a Seagate Free Agent with Firewire (and USB as well) and the receiving drive is an Western Digital Mybook which I've got hooked up to my Airport Extreme feeding wirelessly to my MBP The connection to the MBP is flawless. ie; no interruptions at all.

I've even tried transferring the files from the Seagate directly to the MBP and keep getting error messages. Last night I started moving about 3700 NEF files (just back from vacation) from and to said drives, and after about 1500 of them moved over (not copied, moved) I got an error message saying that the remaining files could not be read or copied.

I closed the lid and went to bed and picked up the task again a short while ago. I remember though, last night, getting a message saying that I might need the system password in order to continue, but to be honest, I can't remember if I actually entered one (I'm pretty sure I didn't). After which, I've only been getting messages (whether I'm trying to copy or just move files) that which ever files I'm moving are busy, can not be written to, or read etc. etc..

At this point, I'm really confused. As said, other files will transfer just fine. The Seagate is not very hot, and I've have restarted the MBP (hard boot), but nothing is working the way it should. After 1500 NEF files transferred, that's it ?

I really need help with this, because the photos are of great value to me and don't want to lose them.

Doug

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I just hooked the FreeAgent drive up to my Linux box, and it isn't working there either. Somewhere down the line, the files decided that I wasn't the "owner" and I'm now being denied certain permissions. I tried to change permissions, but it says I'm not the owner of the files, so I can't even do that.

How in the world did this happen ? don't even think I'll be able to export them to Jpg's at this point.

Doug

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, it seems that I've gotten some files to move, but they're the ones which are at the bottom. I'm guessing then, that some of the ones that failed, are corrupted somehow. I'll try the rest and get back.

doug

Edit: Moving files seems to be working ok going from the bottom of the pile, up. But man.. I can't stand certain things about OS X. When moving or copying files, OS X has to "prepare the files to be copied" which seems to create a full set of blank thumbnails of the yet to be moved files, and until they have all cached, it won't start moving.

And I also just noticed, that the ball won't even get rolling with the preparing stage, unless I give it a nudge. And by nudge, I mean I have to try and move a file into the destination folder yet again, or the first attempt won't even budge. So irritating.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.