My mac won't start

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 2.4Ghz
Hi I'm having a problem which i haven't had 'till now. When I woke up this morning there was a sign on my desktop saying something like "you need to restart your mac. Press the shut down button and hold for 5 seconds or use the restart button. So I pressed the power button. When I tried to turn on the computer it didn't work. It was restarting every 10 seconds. I think it freezes at some point because it gets to the grey screen with the apple but there isn't an idle circle. I tried starting up in safe mode but it didn't worked. I tried inserting the install DVD and pressing the option key to select it but the computer wasn't responding at all. I tried again but this time pressing c key it didn't worked again. I pulled the power cord for 5 minutes but this didn't change a thing at all. I'm out of options and I don't know what to do. The problem is that I'm trying to get to the disk utility but I can't because the iMac isn't responding. Please help....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, take a look at the following Apple KB article: Link

If none of what Apple suggests works for you to turn the iMac on, then it's likely your machine has some sort of hardware problem. Could be power related or even a major failure of some component. Probably best to take it on in to your local Apple service center or store and have it looked at.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 2.4Ghz
Thanks but I forgot to mention that I'm using an iMac. Maybe I'll take it to an apple service centre tomorow but I think that if I mange to reinstall the os I may fix the problem. The problem is how to force it to go directly to the installer. Is there a way because I think that when I'm trying to get to the mac os x DVD using option key the iMac freezes before showing me the icon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.