Device to convert from SPDIF to analog jacks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a device (and not a stereo receiver) that will take in a optical SPDIF/TOSLINK feed and seperate it into appropriate mini jacks for connecting to a 5.1 speaker set (ie: 3 sets of stereo mini jacks, Front L/R, Surround (Rear) L/R, Center/Sub).

Anyone that has seen my posts so far know I've just recently aquired my mac pro... well, in an attempt to not have to replace some of my other gear, I'd really like to reuse my existing 5.1 logitech speakers.

I know of the 5500 that has an optical link - but I really would like to avoid having to buy new speakers. Although I do have a spare stereo receiver, I don't want to clutter up my computer area with a stereo receiver, plus having to buy a set of 5.1 speakers for that stereo receiver is not what I had in mind for saving some money ;).

Something like this has to exist, but I just don't know where I might find one.

Or does anyone have any other suggestions? I'd really love 5.1 sound thru my existing speakers, and I've heard that the SB external usb sound device isn't compatible with osx (I happen to have one when I was experimenting w/ dual sound cards in another system although I can't lay my hands on it atm)...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.