Macbook Pro user - will a USB wireless N adapter help me ?

Reaction score
Still a relatively new Mac user.
I am using a D-Link N Router with my Macbook Pro. Would I benefit any in using a Wireless N USB adapter, or should my built in wireless on the Macbook Pro do just a good of a job?

Also, I have been reading about guys who mount these USB adapters in dishes to pick up wireless signals from long distances. Has anyone here done that?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you have a Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro, then your built-in wireless already has 802.11n

OP
S
Reaction score
If you have a Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro, then your built-in wireless already has 802.11n
That's what I have.
So that means my built in wireless will perform equally as good as the adapter?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you buy into the theory that the aluminum casing inhibits the effective range of the built-in antenna, then it's possible that an external card will yield better range.

Personally, I think the limited antenna in USB dongles is less effective than a larger internal antenna that flanks the screen.

My question is what is the motivation behind this question? Are you having range problems, or are you looking for faster transfer rates on your local network?

OP
S
Reaction score
My question is what is the motivation behind this question? Are you having range problems, or are you looking for faster transfer rates on your local network?
Thanks for asking, and any insight would be most appreciated.
I am trying to determine if I can pick up a wifi signal at a distance of about 900 feet. I own two houses on one property, but can only get high speed internet at one of the houses (cable). I am using an N router and get great reception throughout the house. What I want to do is pick up the signal at my second house, which is about 900 feet away with a wooded area in between. I have cleared a LOS path between the two houses, roughly 20 feet wide. I read something online about guys who use old DishNet or Primestar dishes (and even Asian cookware ) as parabolic antennas to focus signals in conjunction with USB wifi adapters to get long range reception (http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/I am considering the purchase of an expensive Point to Point bridge system, but thought I might first look at other possible options.
Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You're going to need something that will broadcast the signal across the length, and ideally something to pick up the signal at the other end and function as a sort of repeater to broadcast it throughout the second house. However, I have seen people have some great luck without the repeater, though I'm not sure if they managed to pull it off at 900 feet.

You might want to look into a Cantenna before spending a lot of money on some other solution, especially since the Super Cantenna is fully refundable if it doesn't work out.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I agree with Kash, 900 feet is quite a distance for Wi-Fi. I would think you'd need one or more repeaters.

Reaction score
Hi,
I think that a USB adapter will not enhance your reception at all as others already said.

With the current setup, do you get any signal at all ?

Tex

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.