Excel hyperlinks

Reaction score
Excel 2004 for Mac with latest updates installed. I have an Excel file
and want to insert hyperlinks to other files (.doc and .pdf's etc) so that clicking on that link opens the linked file.

The spreadsheet and the linked files are all on my local drive. I am inserting the hyperlinks by CMD K, select document, select the file. If the linked file is in the same folder as the spreadsheet the links work correctly. But where the linked file is in a different folder it returns an error message.

I've tried the same process for inserting hyperlinks in a Windows version of Excel (2003) and the links all work correctly regardless of where the linked file is located on the local drive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

--
Nige Danton

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (white) 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM OSX 10.5+, iPod Touch (2G) 16GB, iSight iMac G5, iPod Nano (3G)
Man I am going bonkers on this error as well, so much so that I am posting here in case others may have an idea. Cannot find much on the web.

Have Office 2008 here for the Mac.

If the linked file is not in the same path as the file that is looking it appears that it is a no-go, which really defeats the purpose.

I too used to be on Win XP using Excel 2003, and this worked no matter where the two files where being stored.

I work in .xls format for the most part as many of my Mac or Win XP people are not using Entourage or the 2007 version of MS Office. It does not appear to matter what the file type extension is however as I have tried both.

I hope the Mac people hear this and I wonder where would be a good place to post this in case this is important to them?

For some reason the system automatically places the path to the folder you are in - right in front of the last two folders referenced in the hyperlink effectively killing it.

What ever is either manually entered or manually selected (if you search for the file) the path that is entered automatically points to the folder you are in.

???? Anyone help with this?

Jared

Reaction score
You've probably figured this out by now, but I thought I'd post my solution since I was pulling my own hairs out today.

The quick fix is to change or add a "hyperlink base."

Go to file, properties, summary and enter your new base in the "hyperlink base" field.

For example, if all your linked documents are found in the "documents" folder (even if in subfolders), change your hyperlink base to the following path:

/Users/yourusername/Documents/

Obviously, "yourusername" refers to your own username.

This new path subverts the automatic "hyperlink base" (if kept blank), which refers to the same folder in which you've created your spreadsheet (as you notice when you hover over the hyperlink).

Best,

Emma

Reaction score
I just registered for the sole purpose of thanking you.

You've probably figured this out by now, but I thought I'd post my solution since I was pulling my own hairs out today.

The quick fix is to change or add a "hyperlink base."

Go to file, properties, summary and enter your new base in the "hyperlink base" field.

For example, if all your linked documents are found in the "documents" folder (even if in subfolders), change your hyperlink base to the following path:

/Users/yourusername/Documents/

Obviously, "yourusername" refers to your own username.

This new path subverts the automatic "hyperlink base" (if kept blank), which refers to the same folder in which you've created your spreadsheet (as you notice when you hover over the hyperlink).

Best,

Emma

This problem was driving me crazy! Thanks for the solution, Emma!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.