Using Applecare Protection Plan

Reaction score
so i purchased a Macbook Pro back in January 08.

at that time, the apple rep told me i could buy my additional apple coverage at "any time i wanted."

i went in and purchased my protection plan in January 09. just a few days after the initial purchase of my MBP a year earlier.

now Apple says i can't register this coverage since it's out of the 1 year date when it had to be done; even though an APPLE EMPLOYEE told me that i could do it whenever i chose to.

so am i totally screwed? did i just blow $300 for nothing?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, Applecare must be purchased within 12 months of the purchase of your Mac, prior to the expiration of your intital warranty.

I'd take it back to the Apple store you bought it from. They may be good to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Yea, you're pretty much scr*wed over now. I had a similar problem as well, i was waiting to buy mine, but they told me that i had 1 year, on my 3rd MBP that they replaced due to hardware problems, but that was not the case. So i'm trying to learn how to replace stuff myself ;D

Reaction score
Bough apple care with a new 20" imac a few years ago, No idea why but a few pixels died on screen almost 2 years later (not a big deal but it drove me crazy) Anyway long story short, Apple replaced the whole screen, no charge.I was told close to 1000.00 to repair, could have even been 1100. Apple care is the way to go!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz aluminum unibody, 250 GB HD, 2GB RAM
Well, you won't be able to use the one you bought, no. But you can look at Squaretrade and see if they have a plan for you. You can try taking it back to the AppleStore, but I'm guessing you opened the package already, so they probably won't take it back. BUT since the AppleCare plan is unregistered, you can sell it to another person with the same model computer you have. You'll take a loss, but it'll be better than having none of the price back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.