Energy Saver Preferences are gone!

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the site and this is my first post. I've owned my new MacBook 13" since November and have absolutely loved it. I'm a newly converted pc to mac guy. I have run into a problem and was hoping you could assist...

I click on my battery icon and select Energy Saver Preferenes, but NOTHING happens. I go to my system preferences and there is no pane for the energy preferences either. I do a search on my computer and there is NOTHING. I know it used to be there b/c I used to set a time to start my laptop in the mornings and I would adjust battery usage. I can't do it any longer.

Any ideas?

Mac Os X 10.5.6 Intel 2.4

Thanks guys and gals.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try creating another account and logging on to it. See if the preferences appear again. Post back.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the response and idea.

I logged in as the guest and was still unsuccessful. I clicked on Energy Saver Preferences under the battery icon, and nothing. I did a help search for it, and when I clicked on the option, I got the following error message:

The item cannot be opened. It may be disabled or not installed. 2 param error

So...does this tell you anything at all???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
AEROX download the latest software update, X.5.6 combo, directly from the Apple web site and install. Run Repair Permissions and see if that then makes any difference to your problem. Here is the link:-

Mac OS X 10.5.6 Combo Update

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok harryb, I downloaded it and installed it and nada. It's like it doesn't exist any longer on my computer. There is NO way to adjust any power settings anymore.

According to the Apple support guy I talked to, he said I would have to get my discs that the computer came with and install archive type files of the missing pane etc.

Is this my only option? I would do it, but I'm away from home and will be for the next month. Thanks...

OP
A
Reaction score
Still no solutions this morning. Any of you able to offer any helpful ideas?

OP
A
Reaction score
harryb,

I went to number 5 and did like it stated. While the computer was running and plugged in, I removed the battery which then changed the battery icon to one with an X in it (dictating no battery). I then replaced the battery and the icon changed back to normal. So... I guess there's no much else we can do.

In the hands of Apple now?

OP
A
Reaction score
So download that combo update and do what he did? The 10.4.11 is a Tiger update it said that came out in Nov. 2007. I'm running Leopard 10.5.6 and got this computer of Nov 2008. I just want to be sure before I put this older and different software on this computer. Thanks for the help!

(And just to make myself clear...there is NO energy saver preference pane anywhere on this computer. The only on my comp that even says that is when I click on the battery icon...it's an option, but nothing happens when you click it. It's a dead link.)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, do not install a 10.4 update. Don't think it will actually run anyway.

You've already done the same suggestion by installing the 10.5.6 combo update. Am assuming you've also repaired permissions?

You can install individual items from the restore DVD with Pacifist. Your next option is more than likely an 'archive and install'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Feather M suggestion was to remove the Energy Saver preference file. As you are running OS X.5.6 don't go anywhere near Tiger.

Reaction score
Could It Be a UPS-Related Problem

I recently had this same problem with the Energy Saver preference panel not coming up. I noticed that sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. I thought maybe it was some sort of sleep/wake issue, but I eventually tracked it down to my UPS at work.

If the UPS (an APC unit attached via USB) was connected, the Energy Saver preference would not open. Remove it and reboot the system and all worked well until the UPS was plugged in again.

I reported this as a bug to Apple, so maybe we'll see a fix for this in OS X 10.5.7

Hope this helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.