Audio channel problem

Reaction score
Hi all. I've got an odd problem with the audio channels on my MacBook Pro and iPhone.

The left audio channel is noticeably louder than the right. I've tried this with several pairs of headphones, as well as with tracks in iTunes and movies in Quicktime.

And no, it's not my hearing; when I put the L headphone in my right ear and vice versa, the problem is reversed.

I have no clue why this would be. I have turned off the "Sound Enhancer" in iTunes because I saw on a forum that that might help. It didn't, at least not in my case.

I have no idea why this would occur on my MacBook *and* my iPhone. (I use the two devices together, if that matters.)

Any ideas? Thanks...

Reaction score
Are your channel volume sliders equal in your audio midi setup?

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, they are. (As a temporary solution, I've gone ahead and adjusted the slider further to the right, to counteract the deficit. This doesn't really answer the question as to what's wrong—and I cannot do this on the iPhone, as far as I know.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Did you mean the "balance" slider in Sound preferences?

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes—the balance is what I set further to the right, to be precise. I've looked around all over for any info on why this might be, and still can't figure it out.

I suppose I could call Apple... ugh.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.