CD stuck in my superdrive

Reaction score
I've gone and got a CD stuck in my superdrive, it was an XP pro disk so I could partition my hard drive and use ye olde Boot camp to use both OS' when ever I needed to. It was a copy as I lost my old one and I think the disk could have been a bit thick, perhaps.

Now I left the CD in my mac and went to lunch, the mac was in my padded bag, but unbeknown to me the section designated for a laptop wasn't padded so any time that I put my bag down it was potentially hitting the floor.

A friend had a similar problem in the way that he had a disk in his super drive and dropped his mac as he fell asleep and it slipped off his lap and clunked to the floor, apparently it miss aligned the heads inside the optical drive and therefore could not get a hold of the CD, this is not the case in my situation, I believe, but sounds similar due to the stuck disk.

At the minute I have a small tab that I can get items over, credit/debit cards and such but it then hits a very firm piece of metal, I assume to stop numpties putting in 2 disks at once. This bit of metal won't go back down and this is why my disk won't eject.... I think.

The disk still reads every time it comes out of sleep so I'm assuming the heads aren't messed up as I'm sure I didn't put it down that hard, and I have dropped my bag harder than this before, I don't want to be taking this back to Apple as I have no warranty left and not sure weather to get the Apple care and then claim.

Does anyone know the internals of these super drives? is it worth me taking the beaut apart? Any info would be greatly appreciated as I want my beast back, I'm yet to try the power management reset yet I doubt that will do anything for me.

Cheers and sorry for the lengthy post

Loonie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming you've exhausted all methods of ejecting the disk? You know, like rebooting and holding down the mouse button and so forth? If you've tried everything and the disk won't eject or come out, then you may be forced to remove the drive in order to get the disk out.

The iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories web site has step by step instructions for drive removal and replacement. If you're handy and not afraid to remove the drive yourself, I suggest you give that a try.

About Apple care: If you no longer have the one year warranty left on your machine, it's too late to get Apple care. They won't sell it to you.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm assuming you've exhausted all methods of ejecting the disk? You know, like rebooting and holding down the mouse button and so forth? If you've tried everything and the disk won't eject or come out, then you may be forced to remove the drive in order to get the disk out.

The iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories web site has step by step instructions for drive removal and replacement. If you're handy and not afraid to remove the drive yourself, I suggest you give that a try.

About Apple care: If you no longer have the one year warranty left on your machine, it's too late to get Apple care. They won't sell it to you.

Regards.

Thanks Chscag,

I have tried all methods and nothing is working for me, something has gone wrong mechanically and a walk through is what I was looking for so hopefully I'll be able to sort it myself. I'll post back with any problems.

Where can I get some of those anti static bands from? I don't want to fry me beloved mac.

Thanks again

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can buy an anti-static wrist band at any Radio Shack store or someplace like Fry's Electronics (if there's one in your area). If you can't find an anti-static band, then just be cautious when removing parts. The ifixit step by step will give you adequate warnings. Anyway, most of the delicate components are securely grounded through circuitry. Probably the most static susceptible components are the memory modules which you're not going to mess with anyway.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.