iMac display question

E

EvoMac

I was wondering their was anyway that the iMac can be used as an external monitor for another computer. Is their a video input connection on the iMac. I dont have that much room on my desk and would like to use the iMac monitor as the primary display and then perhaps use a KVM switch to switch displays on that monitor. Is that possible at all or is it only possible to display whats being processed on the iMac?

I know that the wording seems kinda jumbled but I hope it makes sense to you all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can't use it as another moniter. There is no input. Only thing you could possibly do is by a DV bridge, hook up the other computer to a video in there and then try to view the other computer though that. Only issue that you will probably have lag there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Mr Bobbins said:
Which imac model is it ?

Doesn't make a difference...no All-In-One computer can be used as separate display, neither desktop models nor laptops...

OP
E

EvoMac

I didn't think so, but wasn't 100% sure of the connections on a iMac. The other thing that I was thinking of, is how is the monitor plugged into the video card behind the scenes of the iMac? Is it via some sort of direct connection or is their a DVI connection since it is actually a LCD monitor? If it was connected via a DVI cable internally their might be a way to splice that to outside.

Sorry about the odd question, but I just bought my first mac... I'm a long time PC user (actually an IT professional) and I'm always looking for something to do to see if its possible.

Reaction score
it is wired straight into the logic board. or sawdered.... (however that is spelled)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
itloser said:
I didn't think so, but wasn't 100% sure of the connections on a iMac. The other thing that I was thinking of, is how is the monitor plugged into the video card behind the scenes of the iMac? Is it via some sort of direct connection or is their a DVI connection since it is actually a LCD monitor? If it was connected via a DVI cable internally their might be a way to splice that to outside.

Sorry about the odd question, but I just bought my first mac... I'm a long time PC user (actually an IT professional) and I'm always looking for something to do to see if its possible.

It's surely not connected via DVI connector internally, but I don't think it's directly soldered either, for maintenance purposes.
Technically, it surely is possible to find out which signals belong to which cable, and then solder it to a DVI connector, but that requires some expensive equipment and very good electronic skills and knowledge...otherwise, all you will do is render it useless.

Reaction score
Hope you don't mind me asking but why do you want to buy an imac g5 and then use the monitor for something else, I mean you could just buy a monitor ?

OP
E

EvoMac

Just purely a space thing and utter curiosity... however we all knows what happened to the curious cat...

Reaction score
I remember I came up with this project awhile back to rig up my Mac plus so that I could use it as a second monitor, found out what all the wiring did from a site called xlerateyourmac (I think the site is down now) but bodged the job up and broke the monitor. Hey, a macmini put in a mac plus, that would be something!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.