How do I erase personal information?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8 GHz 4GB Ram, 320Gb, Internal HD; 2 x 1TB External HDs iPod: 16GB touch
I am returning a iMac that I bought last weak from Best Buy, and I have ordered the NEW iMac from Apple...I want to erase all personal information before I return it...how do I do that?

Thanks,

Heath

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Probably the safest way is to boot the iMac with the install DVD, select Disk Utility from the top menu, and secure erase the hard drive. After that's finished, format the hard drive using HFS+ and reinstall OS X and applications.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you're relly paranoid, you could use DU to zero over your disk. This writes zeros all over the disk, making recovery much harder. In fact, there is an option to zero the HD enough that it meets military standards. This is probably overkill and it will take a long time. Even zeroing the drive once will take a while if it's large.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8 GHz 4GB Ram, 320Gb, Internal HD; 2 x 1TB External HDs iPod: 16GB touch
Thanks, I dont believe I will zero the disk, I just want to get rid of stored personal information, like auto-fill stuff; and what is the key chain thingy?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks, I dont believe I will zero the disk, I just want to get rid of stored personal information, like auto-fill stuff; and what is the key chain thingy?

Drag to trash and use secure Trash empty. Finder -> Preferences -> Advanced. Place check in box that states "Empty Trash securely"

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.