Mac Mini & Dull monitor output Q's

M

Morrigan

Hi there!
I'm a PC user but I am 99% sure I'll be buying a Mac Mini as my first Mac ever. However I've heard about problems with some monitors. Apparently the VGA output can cause some monitors to be dark or fuzzy.

I was wondering if there was a hardware list somewhere that shows compatible 3rd party hardware?
In case someone here can help me, I am using an LG Flatron ez T910B.

While we're on the topic, I was wondering how much control you have over your monitor in OSX. I usually have my monitor set at 1152 X 864 @ 100Hz. Will my Mac Mini allow me to do this?

Apologies if my questions are, *ahem*, stupid, but I simply don't know these things!

OP
G

gdestiny

if am using the mac mini w/ the DVI -> VGA converter to my Sony 21" and it looks good.

yes, you can set the res + refresh rate on the mac, just like you can do on the PC.

Reaction score
I hooked a VGA monitor up to my mini, it looked just fine. Why do you run at 100hz?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I've run my Mini on a couple of old cheap 17" crts and it looks as good as the monitor ever looked with any computer. I'd not worry too much.

OP
M

Morrigan

I run 100Hz because it's easier on the eyes. If I ran a lower res, I'd use 120Hz...

Thanks for the replies, I looked at a Mac Mini again in a store today and easily found the resolution settings. OSX *should* detect that my monitor can do up to 120Hz, right?

OP
D

dirtydog

There seems to either be a design flaw (most likely) or questionable QA, regarding the mini's VGA output. According to one test it doesn't meet the VESA spec.

Have a look at this thread over at Apple - lots of people have had this problem.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.68a64fff

If you intend to use VGA (either CRT or TFT) it seems pot luck whether your monitor will work properly or not.

OP
D

dirtydog

My monitor is listed too, does that mean it is compatible? It doesn't say either way.

Also bearing in mind Apple don't officially recognise a problem with the mini's VGA output, their idea of compatible and my idea might not match..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.