G4 Weird Boot Up Issue

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm trying to revive and old 12" G4 for school. However it has this issue. On boot up it will not load to desktop, it fails every time before this. Tells me I need to reboot.

However if I apply pressure to the left of the finger pad I can boot up just fine and the computer runs great. However as soon as I remove pressure from the left side of the finger pad the laptop opens an error and says I need to reboot.

I found a spring like deal on the bottom of the laptop in this relative location, does this need to be touching the metal cover panel on the base? I cant tell if this is some type of ground or something.

I suspect some type of loose connection in this general area, since the rest seems to be working.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. This is my first MAC and really wanting it to work out for me!

thanks guys,

-Cory

OP
R
Reaction score
Through more searching I found maybe my Logic board is causing this issue?

overview.jpg

I'm going to try shimming this tonight to see what it does. Hopefully thats the problem. I'll report back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Good luck. I have fixed 2 iBooks using shims.

OP
R
Reaction score
Good luck. I have fixed 2 iBooks using shims.

I opened mine up and its TOTALLY different than the one in the picture. There is no chip under that black line like it shows.

However there was a square one, and a smaller rectangular one up to the left of where the one shown is. I placed a shim on each, put the back on and tried that. What do you know the laptop has been working!

So I'm hoping that was the issue and I will have no further problems. Mine is an 05, is that a late model or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Fairly late yes, may be Apple changed the design even though they never admitted there was a logic board problem.

OP
R
Reaction score
Fairly late yes, may be Apple changed the design even though they never admitted there was a logic board problem.

good possibility. I'm sure Apple did not want a MASSIVE recall on their hands. If that is the case, it is obvious they didn't fix the issue to its entirety.

Reaction score
I've heard a lot about iBook logic boards going. in fact, when i was in the store the other day with mine, we asked what they generally see iBooks in there for... and logic board was one of the top 3 things the guy listed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.