• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple finally releases new Mac Pro, iMac and Mac mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
New Mac Mini disappointment

A bit disappointing. Thought we might see a £300-ish budget Mac Mini with today's updates.

I'd have thought it would have been a perfect way to bring switchers into the Mac fold.

I'd happily get 3 Mac minis @ £300 (and most importantly get approval from mrsplow) to replace the kids PCs.
But as the asking price of £500 will bring a heavily specced laptop or PC. I'll never sell the Mac idea to mrsplow! Looks like my Macbook will continue to be lonely!

Shame. I really thought they'd make a move for the budget market . . .

Reaction score
Wow, I was shocked when I went to MacRumors.com and found out that the rumors were true; the new Macs really were coming today. I follow the Macbooks more but so far the new Macs are a ton better than before.

My only disappointment was with the iMac. It seems Apple is being very lazy with the iMac because there is still one option which hasn't changed. No LED screens. Every monitor Apple has out now is LED-backlit except the iMac. My thoughts were that they'd get their only other display up to speed but still no LED. My only guess is that they want to keep iMacs as affordable as they used to be but give consumers more power while not raising the price. The thing is when will they start putting LED screens in the iMac? The Macbook Air had it in 2008.

I'm glad to see the Mac mini has come up to speed: It's more graphically powerful, has more space, DDR3 RAM, has more processing power and has more USB slots. What else could you ask for? Can't think of anything else that you need in the Mac mini which hasn't been added. Blu-ray isn't a necessity and is still too expensive to license so no matter.

The Mac Pro is out of my league since there's just so much in there to talk about. The best thing is that they finally have Nehalem processors. It won't be too long before the mobile Nehalem processors make their way to other Macs. My only guess now is when the Macbooks will get refreshed? My guess is April but you never know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8
New desktops... Is anyone else a bit dissapointed?!

Hi all,

it seems to me that Apple haven't really updated the desktops, really just upgraded the graphics cards etc. Yes the iMacs come with bigger HDs but it doesn't really seem like they're that much *better* compared to the huge update of the Macbooks in October.

I was most surprised about the mini though. Only one processor speed etc, difference being HD and RAM. Though the number of ports on the back was a good outcome.

What are other opinions?
Stef

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not sure what you were expecting for the iMac, since the entire line-up had a completely top-down redesign late in 2007. An incremental update was expected, but I doubt we'll see a complete redesign for some time.

The Mac Mini is an entry level machine and is equipped very well at that with the new GPU and the number of ports.

Although I always expect to see "disappointed" threads when Apple does a product announcement, I was shocked to see one about this particular one.

Reaction score
I recently baught a new iMac 24", with 3.06GHz CPU, 4MB RAM, and 750GB HDD as didn't expect the new Macs to be out until at least 3rd quarter of the year! Anyway, a relief that the "NEW" iMac isn't that different to the one I baught, phew.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Personally, I think the mini update was great. Slower power, good GPU, DDR and at a lower price. I just got a G4 so I won't be updating for a while yet. The only thing that would have been perfect (yet unrealistic at this point) would have been Blu-ray playback. I am sorry that your Mac Mini will be lonely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8
yes, I understand where you are coming from. With regards to the iMac, I understand its a "new" machine still, and design updates etc wouldn't happen. But I suppose my original post should've really mentioned price too, as I'm not really sure the price differences between these "new" models and the "old" models are that worth it.

Though, now I come to find myself trying very hard to articulate what I mean so maybe I'm not as disappointed as I first thought?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Horrendous price increases for the UK. 20" iMac now £900 instead of £700.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Horrendous price increases for the UK. 20" iMac now £900 instead of £700.

Indeed. I don't understand why Apple inflates prices to that extent in certain markets.

Reaction score
I also noticed that they changed 'something' about the 15' Macbook Pro. I have no idea what though. I don't know if you guys noticed but Apple added a smaller version of the desktop keyboards: without the numeric pad. If you go to the homepage and look at 'New to the Store' you'll see all the stuff they updated recently. The things they updated today are: iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro, AirPort Extreme Base Station, Time Capsule, Keyboard, and Macbook Pro. If you click Macbook Pro you'll see NEW above the two 15' customizable models, but not over the 17' model like it used to be. What did they change about the 15' Macbook Pros??? It's the same with the Macbooks too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Although I always expect to see "disappointed" threads when Apple does a product announcement, I was shocked to see one about this particular one.
I'm not shocked at all. It simply follows suit with "The Apple Product Cycle":
Step #14 - The Apple Product Cycle said:
The haters offer their assessment. The forums are ablaze with vitriolic rage. Haters pan the device for being less powerful than a Cray X1 while zealots counter that it is both smaller and lighter than a Buick Regal. The virtual slap-fight goes on and on, until obscure technical nuances like, “Will it play multiplexed Ogg Vorbis streams?” become matters of life and death.
Soon we'll be at this stage:

Step #28 - The Apple Product Cycle said:
A minor, rarely occurring flaw in the device begins to be discussed in the Apple support forums. Whiny, artistic types post lengthy diatribes about how this terrible design flaw has made the device unusable and scarred them emotionally. Electronic petitions are created demanding that Apple replace the devices for free, plus pay for counseling to help traumatized users overcome their emotional distress.

OP
mrplow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I some what resent being branded part of "The haters" simply for a little disappointment that Apple hasn't taken the opportunity to address the budget end of the market with a product they originally launched to attract new business. Surely in the current financial climate this is a valid opinion and a missed opportunity. I don't see how the derision for such an opinion is warranted.

Reaction score
I have a G4 mac (need a refresh) was very tempted to go for an i7 pc to run my creative suite 4.

Do you think the new macbooks/pros or imacs rival this yet? (i know the specs on the pc destroy it - ati 4870 card, 6gb ram etc) but macs are macs and usually perform above their spec. I can get the PC for £900!!

Would you buy a new imac, macbook or get an i7 pc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I some what resent being branded part of "The haters" simply for a little disappointment that Apple hasn't taken the opportunity to address the budget end of the market with a product they originally launched to attract new business. Surely in the current financial climate this is a valid opinion and a missed opportunity. I don't see how the derision for such an opinion is warranted.
Understand that while it is an eerie and fairly accurate depiction of what happens when Apple does release things, "The Apple Product Cycle" is still satire.
It's satirical generalizations are not directed at any one person and no offense is meant by any of it.

The point of it was to illustrate that no matter what the economic landscape, there has always been and there will always be those who are disappointed with the latest releases from Apple. Be it price, features, lack of features, etc.... makes no difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm glad they made the Mini upgrade, but can't help to be a little disappointed in the low RAM and hard drive. I mean, you have to admit 120GB is pretty abysmal these days. I mean, it was the low-end HDD size for my MBP back in 2006! Luckily there are plenty of affordable external drives.

I've been itching to get one for an HTPC and think I might take some tax return money and finally pull the trigger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0, 1gb ram,80 gig hdd, Powermac G5, 80 Gig HDD, 1/5 gbs of ram. dvd writer
Nice ! might purchase a mac mini now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz
New Macs: So what about us recent buyers

Well, I see that just over three weeks after getting my 24" iMac and spending the extra dough on better graphics and the 1TB HD, this stuff becomes standard for the 3.06 GHz announced today - and now capacity for 8GB RAM!

Now I remember all that fuss about the iPhone when I was in Iraq and there was a big price & capability shift (though I was honestly a little to busy to keep up with the outcome). Will Cupertino do something to help those of us who recently made the leap? That's at least $300 cheaper than what I paid. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz
Well I see this on the Apple site....

Prices
The Apple Store endeavors to offer you competitive prices on current Apple products, selected Sale and Apple Certified Reconditioned products, and third-party products. Your total order price will include the price of the product on the day of shipping plus any applicable sales tax and shipping charges. Apple reserves the right to change prices for products displayed at the Apple Store at any time and particularly to correct pricing errors that appear on the Store.

Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 14 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 calendar days of the price change.

dang! and me at about 21 days!!! I better not let the wife know! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.