Problem with Tiger to Leopard upgrade?

Reaction score
I updated to Leopard this morning from tiger using the official leopard upgrade dvd. I backed up everything and did the upgrade and now have leopard but my hard-drive which has is about 40gb-50gb had 20gb free before the upgrade. Now i have just 15gb free. Does this mean the majority of my tiger stuff is still on the HD because I keep trying to find stuff to delete but not much is available for delete app wise but there isn't 25gb worth of apps/docs on there? Is there anyway I can clear the HD and just start with leopard using this? My tiger install disc i got with the laptop is at home and i am not so I don't want to have to re-install if I need that to hand?

Sorry if thats not clear, if you think you can help I'd really appreciate it! Mainly i'd like to clear it to make more HD space on leopard as if it was a fresh mac and then using my backed up data add that and re-install my software.
thank-you

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, the Leopard install DVD can be used to do a clean install. In fact, that's the recommended way to do it as the upgrade has been known to cause problems. But do keep in mind that Leopard consumes more space than Tiger, as it has a lot more features. So, it should not be unexpected to see higher disk utilization after an upgrade.

This article covers how to do an "Erase and install", in addition to all the other installation options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.