Upgrade?

Reaction score
I am currently running an imac G5 1.8GHZ 512MB RAM PPC 17" screen. with the up to date version of leopard and a 75GB hardrive.

I use it mainly for music, internet browsing, minor gaming, and the odd big aplications such as photoshop etc.

To be honest, it is getting very slow. Mainly when it comes to itunes. This is becasue my HD is too small for my music collection so i keep it all on my ipod. Whenever i plug my ipod in, itunes basically tries to eat my computer for about 3-4 minutes, and if i play music, it usually lags for about 30 secs every few minutes(when i say lags, the music plays fine, but the itunes software itself lags).

I currently have the chance to pick up a 2GHZ Dual Core 20" iMac with 1GB RAM and 250GB Hard Drive, with up to date leopard etc for €600. Is this worth it? Would i experience a big change in speed, or would i be better off buying a external HD and upgrading my RAM?

Thanks in advance for any replies

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For now I think you would be better off adding system memory (max it out) and purchasing a large external hard drive. 600 Euros for a machine which is not going to give you that much of a boost in computing power is IMO, not worth it.

Also, here in the US Apple has announced a new line of iMac, Mac Pro, and Mac Mini computers. That may in time drive prices down on used models.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As chscag suggest get a large external hard drive for your music etc. Your iMac is a PowerPC model (PPC) and a Firewire connected external drive will be bootable if you wish to also back up the operating system using SuperDuper or a similar program.

If you are a serious music lover in (a very short) time the 250GB will be in exactly the same position.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
A refurbished intel mac would be great for you. But i think everyone has thought the same way. And getting one of these is really hard, if not impossible. Sadly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 17" Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz 1gb 160gb back from the dead! :) , Ibook G4 14" 1.33ghz 1.25gb 120gb
try upgrading my ram. what i noticed with my brothers emac was that when i increased the ram from 256 to 1gb the computer ran much smoother

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.