MacBook and Music Production

Reaction score
My son and his friends are budding musicians, basically rock etc. They recently purchased an M-Audio machine of some sort that is used for their work. My son, aged 15, is asking for a MacBook Pro to use for advanced production work. My own background, I'm deaf, so all this means little to me, but I am a 40 year IT guy, mostly Windows, mainframes etc so I can work with the newer Macs knowing enough UNIX to figure out how they work.
My question, am I in the right forums class for asking about what MAC platforms to look at and what music processing software should I consider. Are there MAC oriented groups specifically oriented to music production? My first thoughts are a Macbook Pro but after that I have no clue what type of music software to consider.
Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated.

Rich M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SR macbook pro: 2.4GHZ,2gb RAM,8600m GT
there are specific groups for music production here.. you just need to search. and mac has logic studio/express and it was on the best audio apps to date and one of the cheapest too..i have no doubts in recommending it! check it out on apple's logic studio page here..
Apple - Logic Studio

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.