ipod win2mac help urgent!

Reaction score
Hi,

I just recieved my 4g ipod 20gb and I am using a windows machine.

I have all my tunes loaded on my windows machine in iTunes because of my girlfriend having an iPod.

However, I am waiting for my g4 iBook to arrive!

Is it ok to start using my ipod straight away on the windows machine.... or will this stop it working with the mac??

I thought I read something about mac not being able to read windows formatted iPod... or was it the other way around??? Please help!!!

------------

p.s.....

The best way to transfer all my itunes from win to mac???
I guess if I can use ipod on pc I can transfer all to mac???

Thanks alot guys.

This forum rocks :robot:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
iRock said:
Hi,

I just recieved my 4g ipod 20gb and I am using a windows machine.

I have all my tunes loaded on my windows machine in iTunes because of my girlfriend having an iPod.

However, I am waiting for my g4 iBook to arrive!

Is it ok to start using my ipod straight away on the windows machine.... or will this stop it working with the mac??

I thought I read something about mac not being able to read windows formatted iPod... or was it the other way around??? Please help!!!

------------

p.s.....

The best way to transfer all my itunes from win to mac???
I guess if I can use ipod on pc I can transfer all to mac???

Thanks alot guys.

This forum rocks :robot:

Other way around. A Mac formated iPod can't be read on a windows machine, but one formated for windows will work fine with a Mac. By all means go ahead and use it with the windows machine.

J

Jason

I had my whole iTunes library on my PC and transferred from my iPod to my new powerbook last night using Senuti. It worked very well :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Congrats on the new iPod and iBook!

As everyone else said here, go ahead and format the iPod as a Windows drive, and you'll be able to read and write to it from your iBook.

To transfer the music over, you can set up a small network by connecting your PC's and iBook's ethernet controller. It'll take a while over 100 Mbit, though. You can also connect via a straight-through Firewire cable if you have Firewire on your PC.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks!

What if I put all the music on the ipod and then read it off the ipod on to the mac??? There is a prog. for that, right?? If so, does it take long to import the songs from the ipod via firewire?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
iRock said:
Thanks!

What if I put all the music on the ipod and then read it off the ipod on to the mac??? There is a prog. for that, right?? If so, does it take long to import the songs from the ipod via firewire?

The aforementioned "Senuti" that Jason mentioned is the program you're looking for. You can download it from versiontracker.com.

Firewire is about the same speed as USB 2.0 and faster than USB 1.1. You should be able to gauge the import speed from how long it took you to load the iPod from your PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Turn off autosync otherwise when you plug the iPod into the iBook with no music it will just wipe it out and you will lose it all

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.