Our MacBook just caught on fire

Reaction score
Okay, has anyone ever heard or seen this before??? My wife and I have a MacBook we purchased back in June 2007. Tonight when she was working on some projects, the computer just shut down. She mentioned to me that the screen went black and she hit the power button a couple of times and nothing. I took the MacBook downstairs and plugged it in thinking the battery was low. When the cord was plugged in, the light was green. I then pushed the power button and saw a orange / yellow flame come out of the "E" key. It flashed for a second and then was gone, followed by smoke pouring out of the "E" key and some of the surrounding keys. I have an appointment with the Genius Bar tomorrow. Has anyone hear about this before or has seen this? Are we talking the battery or a processor? My thinking would be the processor...

Alabama Smith

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like some kind of short in the logic board. Due to the nature of the problem, I wouldn't be surprised if it was sent back to Apple for an engineering assessment. That's a pretty serious problem. Personally, I would want a complete replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)
cwa107 put it just how I would plan on what the Genius Bar will say to you.

Reaction score
Well there has always been known issues with the Magnasafe power adaptors as well.

I haven't seen any issues with my Macbook OR Macbook Pro to date however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)
*Magsafe

MagNAsafe...lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2
Ok ok....I admit.....I just got home from the bar with the guy's.....a few too many...

You knew what I meant! :Angry-Tongue:

Ah to be at the bar - I am stuck at my desk at 4:30am doing a report :[

Reaction score
Ah to be at the bar - I am stuck at my desk at 4:30am doing a report :[

Thats no fun. A report, I remember the days. :)

I am stuck now on my main floor watching Sportscenter in between playing PS3 well my wife and kids sleep. HA! :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats no fun. A report, I remember the days. :)

I am stuck now on my main floor watching Sportscenter in between playing PS3 well my wife and kids sleep. HA! :Oops:

Wanna do my report?

Reaction score
Aww mannnnnnnnnnnn - that sucks :[

I have done my time.....now I will sit here on my MBP...watching Sportscenter, drinking MORE beer.....and will pay for it in the morning, well your just a bit "tired" I will be "hungover". :)

ahhhhhhh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have done my time.....now I will sit here on my MBP...watching Sportscenter, drinking MORE beer.....and will pay for it in the morning, well your just a bit "tired" I will be "hungover". :)

ahhhhhhh

Yeah but I got clients tomorrow from 8am till 5pm:[

Reaction score
I'm sorry... this sounds terrible. But it still cracked me right up. Please update about what the mac geniuses have to say or have said - I'm way too intrigued.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well there has always been known issues with the Magnasafe power adaptors as well.

I haven't seen any issues with my Macbook OR Macbook Pro to date however.

Every issue I've seen with the magsafe adapter has been related to debris being allowed to accumulate around the port and/or connector, or a frayed cable. Either way, in this case, the hot zone was under the keyboard. So, that would indicate a short in the systemboard itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.