Need help with my white macbook (fans going crazy!)

Reaction score
I haven't even hit the two year mark and my fans are going nuts

I don't know what to do about it. Unfortunately I should've bought apple care, but as it stands, I barely had enough money to buy this.

Is there a way to get it back to how it used to be? It seems like I can't do the simplest of tasks without it going buck wild on me.

I use it mainly as a desktop with the lid closed down, does that make a difference? Am I going to have to take it apart and give it a proper cleaning? Can anyone direct me in the direction of a proper tutorial?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" mid 2010, 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD
I haven't even hit the two year mark and my fans are going nuts

I don't know what to do about it. Unfortunately I should've bought apple care, but as it stands, I barely had enough money to buy this.

Is there a way to get it back to how it used to be? It seems like I can't do the simplest of tasks without it going buck wild on me.

I use it mainly as a desktop with the lid closed down, does that make a difference? Am I going to have to take it apart and give it a proper cleaning? Can anyone direct me in the direction of a proper tutorial?

Having the lid closed means = less air throughput = hotter components = louder fans. Your fan and or heatsink are probably full of dust and what not.. no way to get it out without opening the MacBook I'm afraid. iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories has plenty of useful guides. Your warranty is voided (in theory anyway) once you open your MacBook but if you are careful they probably won't notice :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Try using some compressed air to blow out any dust/gunk that may have collected over the years. It's amazing how much crap will build up and impair the ability of the fans to control air flow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.