Window loses focus ....

N

new2OSx

Hello,
I have upgraded to 10.3.8, ever since then, whatever I am working on, that window loses focus every 17 seconds. It doesn't matter what I am doing, e-mail, sys prefs, installs .. whatever the window, if I don't click on it every 17 seconds, it loses focus.

Any ideas?

Thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
sounds weird, not something in a system preference, I suggest repairing permissions and resetting your pram, maybe even run cron scripts using an app like mac janitor or cocktail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
What is it losing focus to? Wait there and then once it loses focus, look up in the upper left corner and see what program is focuses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
is it going blurry or dimming??? i had to reset all my power preferences after i upgraded beacuse it wanted to go to sleep like 8 seconds after i stopped using my pb
-chris

OP
N

new2OSx

losing focus

Mr Bobbins said:
What computer are you using? What's the hardware setup? :eek:

First off, by losing focus, I mean that I open an app, say Safari, after 17 seconds it is as if I clicked on the desktop, the safari tool bar turns grey. I have to click on safari again to be able to interact.

The machine is a G$, 733 Mhz, 256 KB L2, 256KB ram, 133 bus, Rom version 4.2.5f1.

I used to have a problem with an error that popped up on my screen complaining about the USB using too much power. I called Apple and they had me crack the case, push and hold a button and then on boot up hold CTRL, APPLE, P, R. That made the USB error go away, but now I got this mess.

I did reset the permissions, and it worked, until I shut down last night, now it is back again.

Weird doesn't begin to describe it.

I will try to reset the PARM again and get back to everyone.

Thanks,

new2OSx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
iBook/powerbook/powermac/imac/emac ?

When the safari (or whatever app) toolbar turns grey, does the upper right corner next to the Apple menu say 'Finder' or something else?

OP
R

ryanyogan

Something else is obviously running in the backround and taking focus away from your current app. Like aptmunich says, what does the apple menu say? Check your current running programs, and kill anything that looks odd, or just start killing random things....If it goes away you found your problem.

OP
R

reptile007

I've been having the same issue on a work computer (emac,10.3.8,800mhz,512mb). It seemed to happen after a corrupted installation.dmg. If you go into terminal you probally see a process that quickly gets stuck..then killed..and starts again often too quickly to see what the pid is. Its like the installation process is continuing from the dmg. Don't know if this helps. I just ended up netbooting it from our server. Ohh also I noticed like him its not finder or another app that takes focus. Safari stays as the desktop app (aka no finder, other program in the upper left corner). It just loses focus.

Reaction score
Try making a new user and logging in. Does it still happen when logged in as the new user ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.