internet

Reaction score
how fast is the internet on ipod touch? does it take ages to load like on cellphones or is it as fast as broadband? does it ever freeze?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Since the iPod touch uses Wi-Fi, it'll be as fast as the internet connection that it's connected to at the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to own
As for freezing, it does happen, but it's few and far between.

Reaction score
Don't you bet on that.

I've had my 32gb iTouch for approx 1 year. At first it was excellent using wireless and I used to be a regular on the Youtube.

Over the last 3 to 4 months it has become more and more unstable with the wireless connection. I have not changed any settings on my wireless router. I'm the same distance I used to be from the router.

The wireless signal meter seems to go up and down without any reason why. I can browse the web using safari with the signal meter showing 1 bar or 2 bars. When it hits 3 bars it locks the connection and the itouch for quite a while... minutes sometimes.

When I eventually exit I hear an audible click through the headphones and the mute/unmute symbol appears for a split second...

Then everything is back to normal again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 1GB RAM 80 GB Combo Drive
Don't you bet on that.

I've had my 32gb iTouch for approx 1 year. At first it was excellent using wireless and I used to be a regular on the Youtube.

Over the last 3 to 4 months it has become more and more unstable with the wireless connection. I have not changed any settings on my wireless router. I'm the same distance I used to be from the router.

The wireless signal meter seems to go up and down without any reason why. I can browse the web using safari with the signal meter showing 1 bar or 2 bars. When it hits 3 bars it locks the connection and the itouch for quite a while... minutes sometimes.

When I eventually exit I hear an audible click through the headphones and the mute/unmute symbol appears for a split second...

Then everything is back to normal again.

Have you checked to assure that you are still connected to YOUR router? Sometimes when I'm at the mall using it (I work there), it will first connect to a different wi-fi then the one I normally use.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And it's also possible one of your neighbors has set up a new router and using the same channel that yours is using creating some interference. You can go into your router settings and change the channel (try a few) to see if that helps out.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I regularly use my 2G iPod Touch on wi-fi and have never had such a problem. I'd be willing to bet that something changed in your neighborhood that's causing interference problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (white) 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM OSX 10.5+, iPod Touch (2G) 16GB, iSight iMac G5, iPod Nano (3G)
Ya my neighbour has a router totally wide open and when I am at the upper most part of the house - the furthest point from my router - I use his!

But - yes - the iPod will periodically jump to his router sometimes in the middle of the house depending on the strength of his verses mine maybe?

I have to manually switch it back and really this seems to me to be random as well as possibly a function of the signal strength.

I use my iPod with a 'Go Boingo' account and all over the NE USA while traveling in airports and hotels. Works great for what it does.

JMC

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ya my neighbour has a router totally wide open and when I am at the upper most part of the house - the furthest point from my router - I use his!

But - yes - the iPod will periodically jump to his router sometimes in the middle of the house depending on the strength of his verses mine maybe?

I have to manually switch it back and really this seems to me to be random as well as possibly a function of the signal strength.

I use my iPod with a 'Go Boingo' account and all over the NE USA while traveling in airports and hotels. Works great for what it does.

JMC

If you remove his AP from the list, it won't automatically join that network anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.