Question about external hard drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8 GHz 4GB Ram, 320Gb, Internal HD; 2 x 1TB External HDs iPod: 16GB touch
I have a 24" iMac (for a week now) and I bought 2 1TB hard drives. I plugged them up, ran the disk utility to format them and partitioned each of them to 500GB each.

OK, storing stuff on them is working fine...I have one set up for photos another for a back up etc...

I only have the 320GB hard drive in the Mac and I want to install programs on one of the partitions on the external drives... when I go to install a program, it doesn't let me select one of the external drives because there is no OSX on the drives??? What am I doing wrong? Is it the way I erased the drives to begin with?

Thanks,

Heath+

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't think it has anything to do with the format of the drive(s). Most programs will only install to the startup volume. Your startup volume is probably "Macintosh HD", and that's where the program installer will look to for installation. Not all programs will insist on installing to the startup volume but most I'm familiar with do.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.