Flashing folder icon and question mark

Reaction score
Major weirdness - I turned on my Macbook and after the DVD drive clicked a few times ominously the screen goes blue then all that appears is a flashing folder icon with a big question mark.. I've tried turning off a few times and each time I turn back on the same thing happens. Completely stumped here any help, please? Thanks..

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You may have lost your system disk or one of your system files is corrupted.

Try booting from your install media, choose the disk utility application from one of the drop down menus. If you see your system disk do a disk repair and see if that helps. If you don't see your system disk, then you have a bad system disk.

Reaction score
You may have lost your system disk or one of your system files is corrupted.

Try booting from your install media, choose the disk utility application from one of the drop down menus. If you see your system disk do a disk repair and see if that helps. If you don't see your system disk, then you have a bad system disk.

how do i fix the bad system disk? i tried rapair HD with disk utility and disk warrior, nothing seem to fix it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.