• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Stero-type (Political Poll)

G

Garrett

I have stero-typed most Mac users as Democrats, I know this to be false, but just woundering if my wack-o thoughts have any truth to them.

Reaction score
Thats a pretty odd generalization, I have a feeling that the sample of people here will be representative of the population as a whole.

OP
M

meltbanana314

Well, it's not really. Lots of Mac users are young, hip artists/computer geeks in college... a very liberal crowd.

Of course, some are old, church-going, conservative, technically inept grandmothers - so we have both ends of the spectrum going on. Now Linux users on the other hand are all Commies :) </joking>

OP
G

Garrett

I guess I get the stero type from an old TV show I saw. Is was in a coffee bar in Seattle, and there was one of those wack-o people telling a store on stage, and when she got done everyone snapped, and there were Mac stuff everywhere. I sat here, and thought about where I first started stero typing, and that is as far back as I can remember.

--Garrett

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I made that assumption to myself also about mac users leaning to the left, because you see macs in movies and actors with macs, and actors tend to be liberals. IMO. I know that Steve Jobs is a democrat, but he does not take sides, because he said something about not wanting his customers to get mad or anything. Can't blame him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, G4 PowerMac, PowerMac 8600
Some of us right wing NeoCons also appreciate the quality of a Mac.

Rush Limbaugh even uses a Mac, only he needs a minimum wage, liberal working stiff to turn it on for him :eek:

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

lol... i love me some Rush. i guess you can call me a "right wing NeoCons" lol i love that. the only problem is I am 17. ( for a little bit longer) so i couldnt vote this year.:( but yea i would have jumped on teh bad wagon on voted on the right side.
Rush Limbaugh even uses a Mac, only he needs a minimum wage, liberal working stiff to turn it on for hi
that is great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Your conclusion/stereotype is not a difficult one to draw. I'm going to have to say that those concerned with the visual asthetics of their computer as many of us are tend to be of the younger, more artsie, usually liberal crowd. Also, many professoins most associated with the Mac such as graphic design artists and video editers tend to me of a more liberal mindset. Heck, the FIRST apple computer commercial ever, featured the 1984esque hammer through 'big brother.' You don't get much more anti 'the man' pro 'the people' than that.

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
I'm curious as to which direction those that voted 'independant' lean. Do you mean you are a part of the official 'Independant' party? Or do you mean independant of the big two parties leaning to a liberal group such as the peace party or a more conservate group such as the libertarians?

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
bassplayrr said:
I'm curious as to which direction those that voted 'independant' lean. Do you mean you are a part of the official 'Independant' party? Or do you mean independant of the big two parties leaning to a liberal group such as the peace party or a more conservate group such as the libertarians?

-Chris

I chose independent mainly because there are some issues I'm liberal about and some issues I'm conservative about. I try not to restrict myself to a single party. But I don't speak for everyone. ;)

Reaction score
I am not die hard one party but since it really is only a 2 party system I just picked the one I agree with more often than not.

OP
G

Garrett

Wow, these results suprise me. Good to know that this is a cross section of the populus, and not just a certain group. The PC forum I used to be a member of was very liberal.

--Garrett

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
meltbanana314 said:
Well, it's not really. Lots of Mac users are young, hip artists/computer geeks in college... a very liberal crowd.

Of course, some are old, church-going, conservative, technically inept grandmothers - so we have both ends of the spectrum going on. Now Linux users on the other hand are all Commies :) </joking>

I know a few non church going, non conservative, NOT technically inept, Mac using grandmothers. Some of them could easily give much younger geeks a few pointers. Know a few Mac using, church going, non liberal, university geeks of both sexes too.

Men & Women from many countries have used & taken apart Computers of all shapes & sizes for many, many years. It's not something they give up just because they have a few years under their belt or are "Old" from a teenagers perspective.

We don't have just each end of the spectrum we have the whole darn lot. :)

Every Human is unique.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Mostly Libertarian but occationally vote Republican, because at least they SAY they aren't going to raise my taxes. I enjoy living in California though, liberal bastion that it is, with almost no Republicans in the state government (except the Govenator and a few in the assembly) the Democrats don't have anyone to blame. ;)

OP
G

Garrett

I think it's kinda funny, New York city, based on capitalism. Republicans are the 'capitalist' party, but NYC is 75% Democrat. The Democrats better fight Electoral College reform tooth and nail, if they get rid of the 'one state takes all', they are going to loose 30% of Cali, 45% of NYC 25% of Penn. Republicans would take hits in Florida and Texas, a few in Georgia, but that would be the extent of things. If that happens, America in all honesty becomes a Single party system instead of a dual party system. I'm card carring member of the Young Republican Party, (Republicans under 18) but a single party system is NOT something that this nation needs as the world is starting to fall aparpt.

--Garrett

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Garrett said:
but a single party system is NOT something that this nation needs as the world is starting to fall aparpt.

--Garrett

Just look to California for an example. Pretty much single party rule for the last few years before the Govenor was recalled for outright incompetence.

OP
G

Garrett

Yeah, it wouldn't be good, I wish both parties were more moderate though. In all reality, in the past 40 years, America has become so much more liberal. In the 1960 Presidential debates between Kennedy and Nixon, in Kennedy had vocalized today's Democratic party views, Nixon would have won by a land-slide. Times have changed, I know, but the morality of the nation shouldn't, but it has.

--Garrett

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I actually have no preference, but if I had to choose, Id say democrat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Macman said:
I actually have no preference, but if I had to choose, Id say democrat.

Then you have a preference ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.